The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mother of Vinegar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Mother of Vinegar

by Dan Smothergill » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got a mother of vinegar problem in my wine cellar. Too many bottles are coming up with a sour taste. I've looked around for what to do but haven't found much. Suggestions?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Mother of Vinegar

by Bill Hooper » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am

Quit making vinegar in your wine cellar.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:07 am

First of all are you sure its vinegar? It should be quite noticeable on the nose. If not, it could be dissolved CO2 - residuals from either primary or ML. If you shake the wine do bubbles appear? It could also be just high acid - the '06 vintage was a bit rough, as some grapes had trouble ripening in our area. If it is vinegar, clean all your equipment with bleach solution mixed with automatic dishwasher detergent and rinse thoroughly (wear old clothes when you do this). When used to make vinegar, mother of vinegar is a whitish, cloudy, slimy substance.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:53 am

Dan, Howie's point rings true for me. Last year the ripening conditions (in Ontario too) were the worst I ever remember for as long as I've been into wine. It was cold right from the start of September, and drab and rainy all the time. I am still shocked that I was able to make a completely decent wine from the overcropped Cayugas that I picked in the second week of October. Having said that, I also fought with a bit of mold in the must - quick action saved the entire batch, because a white moldy film had begun to develop on the surface of my must after a day of maceration, producing a volatile stink which would have no doubt destroyed the entire batch had I not quickly removed the affected top layer. It was a vintage frought with problems and I frankly am not looking forward to too many commercial '06 wines from Niagara (especially not the reds).
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 am

Paul B. wrote:...It was a vintage frought with problems and I frankly am not looking forward to too many commercial '06 wines from Niagara (especially not the reds).
Paul, I wouldn't be so hasty. After the freak early October snow storm, the rest of October and most of November were sunny and dry. I think you may be surprised and find some quality Cab Franc from the '06 vintage.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Howie, I sure hope to be surprised then!

I recall how nasty '92 and '96 were, and lo and behold, some nice light-bodied Foch was actually produced in those years.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:21 pm

sulphur is your friend - use it. clean everything. its cheaper than moving.
david creighton