The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: VinExpo '07: Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: VinExpo '07: Burgundy

by Saina » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Pierre Bourée Bourgogne Rouge 2004 has plentiful beetroot pinosity. It’s light as expected of a Bourgogne. A very fair basic wine. I’ve read many complaints about tartness in ’04 red Burgs – this certainly has a bit of that but not in quantities that I would dislike.

Pierre Bourée Santenay 1er Cru ”Les Gravières” 2001 is delightfully vegetal, rather masculine with nice bright, red toned fruit. Nice. I didn’t care too much for the 2002 as it had too obvious oak, but if this is how well it would integrate with a year more aging, I am sorry to not have bought any while they were still available.

Pierre Bourée Côte-de-Nuits-Village 1999 is an obviously riper wine than the previous with lovely, red toned and sweetish fruit, but also nice vegetal aromas. The palate is true Burgundy, elegant and seductive.

Pierre Bourée Gevrey-Chambertin 1997 is quite nice on the nose with that earthiness that I love to find in Gev-Ch. The palate was a little hollow, but nice enough.

Pierre Bourée Vosne-Romanée 2002 is again a nicely ripe style, more seductive than the 01 and 04, and has a more foreward appeal. Very nice.

Pierre Bourée Charmes-Chambertin 2000 is nice and ripe and showing very beautifully now. I like it even though in such a hurried taste as this was, it doesn’t quite seem GC standard.

Chapuis Chorey-les-Beaune 2002 is a pretty decent white. It is has a touch of oak which seems to be integrating well. It is a simple but rather pleasant wine. I would like to taste in a year to see what happens to the oak.

Chapuis Corton-Charlemagne 2004 is typical of my little exposure to this lovable GC. It is bright and mineral, not overtly oaky, with that lovely, fresh scent that slightly reminds me of Riesling! I’ve noted this before in Bonneau du Martrays, but now here as well. How strange, and how lovely.

Chapuis Savigny-les-Beaune 2002 is a bright wine, clean and pure and true to the grape, but perhaps slightly too sweet for my preferences.

Chapuis Aloxe-Corton 2003 is a fair effort. It is bright and earthy and not too OTT. The palate is woefully soft, however.

Chapuis Corton-Perrières 2002 a nice, earthy Corton, typical of its rather masculine style. Again there is a touch too much sweetness for my taste, but it is still a very nice wine.

Chapuis Corton-Languettes 2001 is more to my tastes than the previous. This is true Corton in its masculine, a little bit inelegant, gruff yet lovable style. Very nice!

I had never had any Chapuis before, but I did rather like these wines. They may not be the most complex wines, but they seemed unspoofy and true to their terroirs (with what little experience I have of these terroirs, that is). The Corton-Charlemagne was a very lovable white, indeed.

Drouhin Bourgogne Blanc Laforet 2005 a simple and gluggable wine that tastes of Chardonnay. I suppose this is what it is supposed to be. Not special, not offensive and cheap.

Drouhin Chablis 2005 is clean and pure, steely and true to its style.

Drouhin Chablis 1er Cru Montmains 2005 is a clear step up in complexity. The purity of expression is very lovable.

Drouhin Meursault 2005 is rather too oaky.

Drouhin Clos des Mouches Blanc 2004 though oaky, this is quite an impressive wine. There is lovely citrussy fruit that is prominent and some beautiful minerality. The palate is intense, nicely acidic, and the oakiness doesn’t bother me at all. Long and mineral and quite impressive.

Drouhin Juliénas 2004 is a delightful Bojo. I know Drouhin’s Bojos don’t seem to get much praise from anyone but me, but I thought that the earthy and bright notes that aren’t too sweet and not at all bubblegummy are irresistable. The tartness that I found in this wine a year ago has faded (something I’ve noted with other ’04 Bojo Crus also – they really seem to be shaping up well).

Drouhin Rully Rouge 2005 is a rather simple wine. It’s not bad and it is bright and refreshing, but I also thought it a bit dull.

Drouhin Clos des Mouches Rouge 2003 is a fair effort from a freakish year. It is very ripe for sure, exotic even, but it has nice Pinot fruit and earth to counter it. It manages to retain some acidity, but not quite enough for my taste. It is certainly among the better ’03s I’ve had from Burgundy, but still isn’t to my tastes.

Drouhin Clos des Mouches Rouge 2005 is a very nervous and taut wine, yet shows lovely minerality and true Pinosity. Impressive.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: VinExpo '07: Burgundy

by Bruce K » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:32 am

Drouhin Juliénas 2004 is a delightful Bojo. I know Drouhin’s Bojos don’t seem to get much praise from anyone but me, but I thought that the earthy and bright notes that aren’t too sweet and not at all bubblegummy are irresistable. The tartness that I found in this wine a year ago has faded (something I’ve noted with other ’04 Bojo Crus also – they really seem to be shaping up well).

I couldn't agree more. I had a bottle of this wine myself just last week. My notes: "Delightful. Great nose of fresh raspberry fruit, flowers, deep dark earth, minerals and a little beetiness that wasn’t unpleasant. On the palate, it has nice fresh raspberry accented by lots of deep dark earth and minerals. Rich and well-balanced with good structure from bright acidity and some tannins. Really nice wine and a fine value at $12. Excellent match with spinach/onion/mushroom pizza."

Mega-negociant or not, it's terrific juice and if I can find more, I'll get more.