The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: nice under $25 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: nice under $25 Bordeaux

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm

During Betsty's season we try to schedule "date night" once a week, a night that we just do something together. Usually we go out, but Sunday was the day this week, and after a morning speech at a church and a stiff neck, I couldn't get up enthusiasm for going out. So Betsy stepped into the breech, and made a fabulous date night at home meal. All dishes from an old copy of Pierre Franey's 60 Minute gourmet: a 2.5" porterhouse in red wine sauce, potatoes in a cream sauce, and a dish of turnips, mushrooms, and carrots. There was also salad and she even picked up 3 cheeses (Valdeon, Pecorino Tartuffo, and Ardrahan) for me. I opened the 1998 La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge. Really lovely middleweight Graves, mostly black currant fruit but an occasional hint of red berries, as it got some air lots of damp earth and some cigarbox. Tannins are pretty integrated, but enough body to stand up to the meat. After an hour it still had vibrant fruit, but a mushroomy/truffly edge had joined the earthy notes (which made it go very well with the Pecorino). I think I paid $20-22 for these, hard to find that kind of value these days. But a very nice example of a fairly classic styled Bordeaux. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: WTN: nice under $25 Bordeaux

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Dale,

Sounds like a wonderful dinner!

When did you buy the La Louviere? I just did a quick search for it and the 1998 is going for about $38.00 now. Even the younger vintages are about $33.00-$35.00. Sounds like you got a great deal!

Thanks for the great notes.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:03 pm

My copy of Franey is basically separate leaves, gathered inside a very tattered cover. :-)

The porterhouse recipe is good!

And the wine sounds like a great match.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:07 pm

Maria, probably bought near release. But doesn't look like prices have risen- I see plenty in $20-30 on Winesearcher pro. Of course none are at stores I know, so storage a concern (I have more, so won't buy).

John, it's an excellent book- we've also loved the chicken in mustard,. scallops w/Pernod, filet in cream vinegar sauce, stroganoff...too many to name. It is a bit dated (this recipe called for "brown stock or canned gravy"- understandable for 15 years ago, but Betsy upgraded to D'Artagnan demi-glace).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:00 pm

Maria, not to answer for Dale, but the prices of Bordeauxs have risen in recent years, and fickle American buyers ignored the 98's since they were released when the next "vintage of the century", the 2000, was in the pipes. What Dale paid for his 98 was probably the going price at the time (heck, I got mine on sale for $15). Similarly, you can great deals now on 01, 02 and 04 Bordeauxs because the pointy people are crawling over each other's back to get the super-ripe 03's and next "vintage of the century" 05's. Bordeaux-buying's a very cynical game. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov