The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone tried the Nuance wine filter?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone tried the Nuance wine filter?

by Jenise » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Saw this cigar-sized wine filter in a persuasively stylish store in Copenhagen last week and couldn't resist. It just had the look of something that would make it possible to take mature bottles of red wine to places where decanting would be impractical or impossible. The tube has several portholes along it's length with small aperture screens in them for the larger solids and then there's a finer mesh screen in the spout for the grainier sediment.

Then that very night, in our room we opened a 75 Filhot Sauternes I'd brought along and the nether portions of the cork crumbled into the wine. Damn, drat, and all that said I, until our travelling companions said, "Your filter!! Use your new filter!" Purrrrrrfect. A use I hadn't even considered, but we were able to pour perfect glasses of clear yellow nectar without the floaters one otherwise must suffer in such situations.

Pretty cool item for those of us who often hesitate to take aged wines to other people's houses or beyond because of the equipment problem. The Nuance is apparently available here in the States, too, though not widely. To get an idea of what it looks like, below is a link to a website I googled up just now--not cheap, but $39 is about 20% less than I paid in Copenhagen, so it's not a ripoff.

http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.detailmain/Nuance_Wine_Finer_and_Pourer___Black/itemID.14463/itemType.Product/iProductID.14463/qx/shopping/product/180700.htm?mtcpromotion=BizRate%3EWine%20Coolers%3ECorkscrews,%20Tools%20%26%20Openers%3E180700
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov