The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austrian Riesling with lobster and ginger

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Austrian Riesling with lobster and ginger

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:16 am

Last night Betsy made Michel Richard's lobster burgers with ginger aioli and tomato confit (very tasty, although Betsy wasn't happy that the burgers didn't hold together as well as last time). I like dry Riesling with ginger, so opened the 2001 Brundlmayer "Langenloiser Steinmassel" Riesling (Kamptal). I believe this is Brundlmayer's basic Riesling, and probably never intended to cellar. But I found it a little closed and austere on release, and felt maybe a little time might do it good. It did. More mineral-driven than fruit, wet rocks and a hint of petrol. The fruit is all about green apples and sharper citrus fruits, yet with a honied note to soften a bit. Bracing acidity, good finish. Maybe not the best for sipping by itself, but a fine match with the richness of the dish and it plays well with the ginger mayo and the tomato. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Austrian Riesling with lobster and ginger

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Dale,

You're one level up from Brundlmayer's basic "Kaptaler Terassen" bottling. The Steinmassel is always very minerally and austere. The 2002 is a total rock fest.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:34 pm

Sounds like a great meal and a great wine-food match.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:14 pm

David,
thanks for info. I've had the Kamptaler Terrassen GV, but didn't remember seeing the Riesling.

I was taking a group into city last night, so just had a half-glass of this with pork chops. Even rockier, and just as tasty.