The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: This weekend I'm drinking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: This weekend I'm drinking?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:38 am

Sorry Paulo, have not opened yet! Have been helping out at the grill all weekend as manger off on sick leave and other guys needs help! I did sample at the winebar and found it quite dry but bottle had been open 2 days.

I managed to tasts the new vintages from D`Arenberg, only the whites, and up to usual high standard.
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Otto
My contibution to the thread:

WTN: 1996 Chateau Kefraya Comte de M... - Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (3-24-07)

Opened this yesterday afternoon, somewhat out of curiosity. A bit of dust and red fruit on the bouquet. Very nicely balanced on the palate with plum and dust in equal poportions. Nice finished characterised by a touch of cherry and mushroom. A very full-bodied wine.

I tried it again today, and it has evolved into something much less elegant. The bouquet and palate are both dominated by very ripe plum. A bit of salty minerality can be found on the finish. This is somehwat of a disappointment given its cant towards a New World style. I'd bought a case of this some years ago in hopes that something Musar-like might emerge over time. I've a half dozen bottles left in the canny for aging, so will be able to guage it over the next six years or so. At this point, I'm not sure that the tannins and acid will survive that ferocious fruit!

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:58 pm

1998 Durbacher Plauenrein "Achat" Riesling spätlese trocken. Andreas Laible, Durbach, Baden, Germany.
A truly great German trocken Riesling, bought from the grower in 1999. Now matured to perfection. A full honeyed nose and quite a mouthfull too. Good balancing acidity. Rather powerful and with its 13% alcohol, I might very well have guessed an Alsace than a German (albeit from Baden).
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 pm

As I expected, a night in the refrigerator to contemplate its sins helped this bottle. Also, the steak brought out the depth in the wine, whereas the spaghetti last night showed off its spices.

Proves, I guess, that a good wine is good, even if it is a bit strange.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:58 am

OK. Here's my results. :) Consumed with appetizers and grilled BEEF (tri tip and rib eye)

1996 Cafaro (Stag's Leap Napa Valley) Cabernet Sauvignon. Very very nice tonight. Decanted through a mesh filter, but no obvious sediment (unlike the 1991). Dark red-black in color with no obvious bricking. Definitely on the red fruit side of the ledger, with raspberry and leather notes on the nose. Unlike the 1991, there remains a lot of fruit on the palette (that raspberry I was talking about, plus some currents). A very long, interesting savory and herbal finish. Quite smooth. Only paid $15, so great QPR here. Solid ***1/2+ (only because i keep comparing these regular bottlings to his stellar, top five of my life 1999 Riserva!)

Second: 1999 Smothers Winery Remick Ridge Merlot (Sonoma Valley) $32. Another case of a successful "entrepeneur" (comedian in this case) getting into wine. But-if you have good terroir, good grapes, and a name winemaker (Richard Arrowood), magic can happen in the glass. Lovely example of a rich, savory, dark fruit Merlot. Saint Emillion? Nope-Sonoma County! Black in color with no bricking,. dark delicious fruit on the nose, which is confirmed on the palette. Not hot at all, but this is a bigger, richer wine than the Cafaro Cab. Long, deep finish with savory notes. Only caveat is one quirky note on this finish, but I will definitely be back. Sadly, they are no longer making Merlots, only Cabs ****? I am quite enjoying many Sonoma Valley bordeaux varietals-I had a taste of Imagery (Benziger Family) Estate Cab and it was refershingly dry and balanced.

Chateau Boswell Jocelyn's Cuvee (Cab/Syrah) (St. Helena) (Don't want to talk about the price)The disappointment of the night-I liked this more at the winery last summer. For one thing, it's very hot (15.6% abv!!!) and it smells and tastes hot. I found it somewhat one-dimension on the palette-a simple blast of blackberry and raspberry flavors with a clipped finish and no secondary flavors at all. Too young? The winemaker thought it was drinking well now, but I'm not sure. I have two of his Cabs that I recall preferring at the winery (but I wanted some variety)-I should have gotten a second bottle of Beckstoffer IV or Estate Cab instead. :cry: I think I will keep the Cabs in my cellar for five years and see what happens. Not faulted, just not enjoyable for me. Other people at the party quite enjoyed the wine-it had a strange zinberry character completely unlike Syrah or Cab. Still, for my taste *1/2

Ravenswood Lodi Old Vines Zin 2003. My friend opened this one. This was actually a nice surprise. Not jammy or over the top at all. Roasted black zinberry fruit, simple finish. A fine quaffer and relatively low in alcohol (14.5%) Given the price, I would buy this. **1/2
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:11 am

NV Billecart-Salmon Rose: Benchmark

1998 JJ Prum WS Kabinett: Peaking

2000 ESJ Fenaughty: Lovely

1985 Faurie Hermitage: Corked

1991 Clape Cornas: Excellent

1997 Chave Hermitage: Outstanding

1986 Riscal Reserva: Weedy

2001 Prager Sweet Claire Riesling: Insipid

1989 Hugel Gewurzt: Tasty

2000 Pichon St. Joseph: Spritzy

2004 Chevillon Bourgogne Passetoutgrains: Inexpensive

1997 Montevertine Reserva: Difficult
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 am

Good to see some TNs! :) Here are a couple more from a thoroughly enjoyable Sunday afternoon:

A good friend of mine is visiting from Oxford. She is very much into Vintage Port, so I decided to open up a Vesuvio that I had briefly tasted at the VinExpo. That all too brief encounter made me fall in love with the wine, so it was nice to be able to revisit it in a less hurried environment.

Jeruzalem Ormož Terase 2005

I've been drinking quite a bit of this Slovenian cheap white. It is vibrantly fruity, nicely mineral and has a rather Sauvignon Blanc -like nose (40% SB + several other grapes) but is more interesting than most SBs. The palate is fruity and it seems that Slovenia saw quite a bit of sun this year, but it is fresh and acidic also. Very pure and refreshing. At 10€ it is no wonder I'm unscrewing these at quite a fast rate.

Pierre Peters Blanc de Blancs Cuvée de Réserve Brut NV

The cork was already quite shrunken as if this had some age. Is there something on the lable from which I could find out when it was degorged?

The nose was lovely and also seemed a bit mature. It had all the lovely and bright Bl de Bl aromatics and the slightest touch of maderisation - which I find ever so lovable in a Champagne when it doesn't dominate everything else that there is. The mousse is soft but plentiful and didn't disappear though the three of us were very slow in drinking the bottle (2 hours :eek: - we've never been so slow!). The palate had brisk acidity, lovely old fruit and a rather more prominent minerality than I remembered from last bottles. Absolutely lovely and in just the stage of development that I like my Champagnes to be.

Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port 1994

Upon decanting, the nose was very blueberry-like and floral - it reminded me rather of Fonseca's style. It was very primary tasting and showed only promise of the future in its balance. The alcohol was - as expected - rather too prominent.

After 7 hours: It is starting to come together. There are some very lovable sweeter red tones coming out from underneath the darker and floral tones. This is a savoury scent despite the all the sweet nuances. The alcohol is starting to integrate better. Though full of everything, I wouldn't call this a blockbuster style of Port - in fact, I can only call it elegant. It isn't anymore as primary as upon decanting, but it is still a young Port. The palate has perfect balance for my tastes: thanks to obvious but soft tannins and noticable acidity it tastes on the drier end of the spectrum (like Dow). It is very savoury yet hedonistic.

After 13 hours: this is utterly brilliant now. The alcohol is largely integrated, there is great freshness, the brighter red tones are even more to the fore and the aftertaste is interminable. Despite the sugar it tastes fresh and is very moreish.

After 24 hours: I used to find that young and youngish Ports could keep well 24 hours. This hasn't become a disaster and is very enjoyable still, but it has lost aspects that I find myself more and more looking for in wines: brighness and freshness. I want my wines to taste refreshing and at 13 hours this was. At 13 hours, it also seemed perhaps the best young Port I've so far tasted.

All in all it was quite a nice, lazy Sunday afternoon. :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
Previous