The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rheinhessen duo, Ahr Spätburgunder, Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Rheinhessen duo, Ahr Spätburgunder, Bordeaux

by Keith M » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:10 am

2005 Braun Oppenheimer Rheinhessen Weisser Burgunder Kabinett Trocken (Germany) 13% – appears straw gold, tiny clingers, smell melon, blueberry, some smell of pond, with air, quite perfumed, taste soothing melon, cantaloupe, some blueberry in mid-palate, finish is a bit raw with pineapple rind, dry, almost tart finish, mineral hanging around, long finish, this wine was a moving target and I enjoyed it for that aspect, some gentle touches, but a lot of rawness and aggressiveness on the tongue, a gritty one

2005 Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim Nierstein Rheinhessen Riesling QbA (Qualitätswein bestimmter Anbaugebiete) (Germany) 12.5% – smell honey, lime, peach, mouthfeel incredibly smooth, thick honey texture, taste good acidity, quite light hints of peach or apricot, sharpness, midway hit with the heaviness of the wine with faint uninteresting flavors, but finish comes back nicely with dollop of mineral/slate and great dryness, overall I wished the wine were more like its finish—with a statement to make, but the wine overall seemed kind of boring in its flavor which was reinforced by an overly dense mouthfeel, made the wine drinkable but eminently forgettable, with or without food. Also wondered what's going on with the reapplied back label that appears to block out the BIO marking, which I assume refers to organically-grown grapes. I wonder why they originally had labels with the BIO mark and then went and reprinted them without it. Could be a Jenny stamp thing here waiting to happen!

2005 Kreuzberg Neuenahrer Schieferlay Ahr Spätburgunder (Germany) 13% – appears very light rose color, super transparent, smell dense raspberry, bit of dark cellar, sweet chemical metal polish (but this seems to burn off), with air, quite fragrant, spices, hay, touch of alcohol, taste full juicy fruit, particularly berries, at first the finish burns with an excess of spice that hijacks the wine, after about 2 hours, however, this settles down, and the wine settles down into darker heavier fruits (perhaps even some pomegranate in there), finish never really comes together for me, the original spice attack recedes into weedy and tart finish, overall the distinct interesting fruit flavors that lurk around in the wine made it interesting, and once things calmed down a more integrated one (especially by the second day), but ends up as more of an interesting display of those flavors—the whole is not greater than the sum of those parts

2005 Barton & Guestier Château Barrail Laussac Bordeaux (France) 13.5% – appears dark crimson brown-purple, smell library books, aura of fruit, soft and quite nice, mouthfeel thick and dense, not quite silky, good middle ground, taste dense concentrated fruit, recessed spice which was nice accent, dry dry fruit lurking in there, intense cherry, coffee/cocoa mix feel to denseness on tongue, this wine worked quite well with a pot roast—indeed overall the wine reminded me much more of the texture of meat, the fruit flavors were there but the more interesting elements were just the simple understatement lurking underneath, kind of layered and stringy and interconnected without being all that complex, not a wine that shines, but does a great job in a supporting role in the appropriate meal, can def hold a bit of weight

Edited to correct spelling.
Last edited by Keith M on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rheinhessen duo, Ahr Spätburgunder, Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:40 am

Unfortunately not the best producers of the Rheinhessen there. I've never even heard of Braun, and Heyl has seen much better days. As for the BIO thing...Iwould have to see it to hazard a guess.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Unfortunately not the best producers of the Rheinhessen there. I've never even heard of Braun, and Heyl has seen much better days.

David,

I'd be interested to learn who are among your favorite producers in the Rheinhessen. Just started to explore those wines myself so my picks were pretty exploratory -- I was also interested in visiting Gunderloch and Strub, but it was the weekend of some wine trade show and lots of folks were away for that. Anyone you can recommend if I can make it up there again for a visit?

For what it's worth, I did enjoy the Braun Weissburgunder, though it fit with my overall impression of their lineup being a bit on the rougher side and certainly unpolished, but appealing in their rawness. I kind of like that when I'm in the mood, but it certainly isn't for every palate. I have a few others from Braun, so eventually I'll see how they measure up as well.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Not David but Gunderloch has always been one of my favorites. Very friendly people. More of an opulent style. Their Jean Baptiste Kabinett is always a good buy. Their BA and TBA's are very good. Keller and Wittmann get a lot of press in Germany.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm partial to Strub and Gunderloch. I'm not fond of the Keller/Wittmann style - too heavy.
Decisions are made by those who show up