The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Get ya' ice cold Syrah heah!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

WTN: Get ya' ice cold Syrah heah!!!!

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:37 pm

I cracked a bottle of Cline Cellars '05 Cool Climate Syrah on Friday last. Since it's been a little hot in these parts and my kitchen open bottle station was getting rather warm, I stuck this bottle in the fridge. I took it to Zari's house over the weekend where we each had one glass at "normal red wine drinking temp." I took it home and stuck it in the fridge again. (Yeah, I know. Talk about nursing a bottle of wine. And, no, James, I wasn't being cheap.) Tonight, Monday night, I yank it out and pour myself a cold one. It was completely delicious at fridge temps. I was surprised. There was more fruit to it than the usual smokey, leathery lard, but the cold didn't kill the flavor or the complexity. I am used to drinking chilled red wine. My sainted mother would have it no other way except straight out of the fridge. Guess that's what made a beer drinker out of me in my younger years.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Get ya' ice cold Syrah heah!!!!

by Bill Hooper » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Gary, It does say cooool on the label. In all seriosity, the chill probably helped kill-off some of the candy.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Get ya' ice cold Syrah heah!!!!

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:23 pm

I stuck a bottle of 2005 Jewell Petite Syrah in the fridge last week after drinking just one glass.

I hadn't been particularly impressed with the wine...the tannins weren't well integrated, and the fruit was lacking. Overall it just didn't seem well balanced.

Finally got back to it about 5 days later, poured a glass and let it sit for about an hour to try and warm it up (it was still slightly chilled when I drank it w/ dinner).

What a difference! The elements all came together much more nicely this time, and I could taste lots of black cherry. Not sure if it was the time in and out of the fridge that did it or the meal (roasted chicken w/ fresh squash and carrotts on the side) but it was a much more enjoyable wine this time around.

Last night I tried mixing the small amount that I had left with some very inexpensive garnacha I had opened, hoping to benefit from the additional tannins, but it didn't really do much for me.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt