The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ch. Lynch-Bages 1989

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Ch. Lynch-Bages 1989

by David Lole » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:54 am

Revealing an incredibly deep, opaque, black ruby colour, this youthful Pauillac throws up a huge, profound, brooding nose of cedar, creosote, briar, French herbs, damp earth with evolving, enticing hints of licorice and currants but still needs many years, possibly even a decade or more to reach its' aromatic zenith. The palate follows a similar path - power-packed with masses of tarry extract, bucketloads of firm, mouth-puckering tannins and an abundance of acidity, especially for the vintage. Even at almost eighteen years of age, this wine still looks horribly backward and unresolved on the palate. Suggest anyone with a cool, dark cellar to leave it be for at least five years and then hopefully enjoy the rewards of their patience for at least another twenty years thereafter. To my way of thinking, superb aromatics alone are insufficient for a wine to merit an Outstanding rating. On tonight's performance, I'm having trouble giving this regurlarly over-achieving fifth-growth 90 points, but with a caveat for much better things once the palate sheds its harshness and, hopefully, reveals the class of the bouquet. If you're intent on opening one soon, make sure you serve this with a hearty red meat dish to counter the firmness of the palate.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Ch. Lynch-Bages 1989

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks -- I still have a six-pack in the cellar. I won't be in a rush to try one now.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:32 am

Thanks, David. Do you drink Bordeaux right along side Australian wines? I read that many Australian reds are pretty forward, ultra ripe and hot. When I very infrequently drink Bordeaux at the same time as California cabs, I find that I can hardly taste the Bordeaux because of the higher noise level of the American wines. If a Bordeaux under this circumstance seemed backward and unresolved, I might try another bottle in a few days after my last taste of a California wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:08 am

Chris Kissick has today posted on Lynch-Bages, good precis too. Someone here mentioned his Beaumont notes (earlier today).
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:45 am

Covert wrote:Thanks, David. Do you drink Bordeaux right along side Australian wines?
- Not if I can help it!

Covert wrote:I read that many Australian reds are pretty forward, ultra ripe and hot.
- Don't believe everything you read, Covert. :wink: I don't buy or go for the big, jammy, high alcohol stuff that RPJ and his sycophants are so keen on.

Covert wrote:When I very infrequently drink Bordeaux at the same time as California cabs, I find that I can hardly taste the Bordeaux because of the higher noise level of the American wines. If a Bordeaux under this circumstance seemed backward and unresolved, I might try another bottle in a few days after my last taste of a California wine.
- Over recent months, and for a variety of reaosns, I have opened, at most, half a dozen Aussie reds, usually drinking the bottle over a couple of days. Most have been 10-15 years old (some older). I find I'm struggling to find anything like the complexity and enjoyment I get from a mature claret (e.g. '61, '78, '79, '82, '85) or a top red burgundy from '93 or '96.

My cellar, once (a long time ago now, it must be said) mostly full of Aussie benchmark/blue chip reds (e.g. Penfolds (Grange, 707 etc) and Henschke (Hill of Grace and Cyril Henschke, Mount Edelstone) amongst many others), now has ONE bottle of very old Penfolds Special Bin red and perhaps a couple of mixed cases of Mount Edelstone ('94-'96) and Keyneton Estate ('96 and '98 ). Quite a few of the Henschke's have been earmarked for the chopper! Perhaps you may have gone through similar stylistic changes with your drinking preferences over the years, too?
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:30 pm

David Lole wrote: Over recent months, and for a variety of reaosns, I have opened, at most, half a dozen Aussie reds, usually drinking the bottle over a couple of days. Most have been 10-15 years old (some older). I find I'm struggling to find anything like the complexity and enjoyment I get from a mature claret (e.g. '61, '78, '79, '82, '85) or a top red burgundy from '93 or '96.

My cellar, once (a long time ago now, it must be said) mostly full of Aussie benchmark/blue chip reds (e.g. Penfolds (Grange, 707 etc) and Henschke (Hill of Grace and Cyril Henschke, Mount Edelstone) amongst many others), now has ONE bottle of very old Penfolds Special Bin red and perhaps a couple of mixed cases of Mount Edelstone ('94-'96) and Keyneton Estate ('96 and '98 ). Quite a few of the Henschke's have been earmarked for the chopper! Perhaps you may have gone through similar stylistic changes with your drinking preferences over the years, too?

I have enjoyed a glass of wine for some time, but did not become a collector before I discovered Bodeaux (I don't call it claret on this forum because others here like to tell me that claret does not exist anymore). I have about three bottles of California Cab, gifts awaiting Thanksgivings, when I defer to my country a little bit; or more truthfully, share wine with people who do not appreciate fine wine. I have yet to find any wine that comes close to providing the enjoyment of a fine Bordeaux. Burgundy is a distant runner up, but there are no others in the running.

I just scored a bottle of 1985 Lynch Bages from a participant at a Burgundy dinner on Friday night, so I will finally get to see what that famous bottle is all about.

Covert