The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mas de Daumas Gassac 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Mas de Daumas Gassac 1999

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Vin De Pays de L'Herault.

A blend of 80 per cent Cabernet Sauvignon and 20 per cent "Huit Cepages", whatever that might be.

Decanted, about 20-25 minutes before supper.

Good, deep red color.

Nothing on the nose for the first while. With time, the nose revealed thd merest suggestion of spicy cherry fruit.

Very dry, woody, earthy, very light cherry fruit. With more time sitting in the decanter, the wine gained a bit of body and softness but remained quite austere.

So, given that I don't have much experience with this wine, my question is, did I open this wine too early, not decant it long enough or is this just a lousy vintage or, perhaps, is this bottle the victim of poor storage? I do realize that this isn't supposed to be a "fruit bomb" but I am also not so sure that it should taste as I have described it.

I have a few more 1999s in the cellar, as well as a couple of 1997s, so I would be interested in your views.

Purchased several years ago at $38 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Mas de Daumas Gassac 1999

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 pm

Whoa Bruce, I would think a tad young. I always stock up when in London every 2 years or so. I have some `98s which I will leave a while plus a couple of whites which I feel sure Otto would enjoy if here!!!!

Check this out................................!

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingspr ... umas.shtml

I did a search on the UK forum and the TN there echos yours pretty well. The taster, owner of PicWines, was not impressed and in a 12 bottle lineup, the MdDG came in last. I would paste here but do not know if that would be in order?
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:45 am

I've got a few bottles of this vintage resting too. I was told hands off until 2009.. The wine apparently minicks a first growth for the first few years then shuts down hard between years 5-10 (I've not tasted this myself either so trusting those with more experience here)....so a couple of more years....
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:33 pm

I've been cataloguing a friend's cellar for her. Her father passed away last year leaving her his extensive (mostly French) collection, and she has vintages of Mas de Daumas Gassac from 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1992 in the cellar. I'm trying to figure out valuation on these wines, and the notes from the wine doctor helped. I hope to try one of them soon, and I'll report back. All the best, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea