The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tastes from all over

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Tastes from all over

by Florida Jim » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:51 am

2005 Denis Jamain, Reuilly Pinot Gris Rosé:
Served ice cold this is charming and refreshing with a hint of sweetness; barely a blush in color, this is a lovely aperitif or would be good with very light fare. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $15; I bought a few.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne Les Clous:
Exquisite chardonnay from the Côte Chalonnaise that is probably my favorite chard. outside of Chablis; deep, supple, mineral infused fruit with plenty of cut and no wood or butter overlays. Showing a touch of sulpher at the moment, this still needs 3-5 years in the cellar. Excellent juice. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit and about $19; I bought plenty.

2004 Dom. d’Aupilhac, Montpeyroux:
Scents of warm fruit and meat; a broth-like texture in the mouth with layers of garrique, meat and fruit, and good sustain. Perfect with grilled sausages and certainly could stand a year or two in the cellar. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit and about $15; I’ll buy more.

2001 Caggiano, Taurasi Vigne Macchia dei Goti:
One of the most impressive red wines I have had this year; smells of tannin and fruit; very saturated and dense fruit in the mouth with lots of very fine, sweet tannin, tremendous structure and complexity, a clear sense of place, and yet, it still leaves the distinct impression of finesse and polish. Needs at least 5 years in the cellar (probably more) this is simply world class wine. 14% alcohol, imported by Michael Skurnik and about $50; I’ll buy more.

2004 J.P. Droin, Chablis Les Clos:
Somewhat closed on both the nose and palate but clearly Chablis and fully ripe albeit showing slightly thin; nicely balanced and flavorful with good length. This may add weight with time but I doubt it will ever be fully representative of this vineyard. Only a touch of wood and butter evident. About $44; I won’t by more.

1993 Lopez de Heredia, Viña Tondonia Rosado:
Shows slightly sherried with pomegranate, strawberry and tree bark smells and tastes, smoothly textured and very long. A unique wine and not for everyone but also not one you’ll soon forget. About $20; I bought plenty.

2004 Bruno Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Dusty cherry predominant with earthy scents and flavors, good complexity and nice length. A favorite of mine; it would be hard to have too much of this lovely wine. Imported by Winebow and about $24; I bought plenty.

1998 Lafarge, Bourgogne:
Light bodied with fine black raspberry and mushroom scents; a touch tannic on the palate with flavors that follow the nose, some complexity and pretty light weight; medium length finish. Obviously, Burgundy and pleasant accompaniment but nothing serious. About $15 on sale; I bought all I could.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars