The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

ESJ - It's all about product placement?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

ESJ - It's all about product placement?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:27 pm

I was just flipping through the April 07 Food and Wine and came to a fold-out (pg 87) showing the "must haves for insatiable wine buffs". There you'll find a geekily attired gent seemingly ready for his onslaught to find all things pointy. The unbreakable glass dangling from the hands-free strap around his neck, the pocket vinotemp pen thermometer, toting his indestructible, FAA-approved wine carrying case.

And there on the table in front of him is a partially concealed bottle of 2003 Rocks and Gravel!

Next thing you know, we'll see JayZ slurping Pinc Froid on South Beach in his next music video. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Re: ESJ - It's all about product placement?

by Jay Miller » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:23 pm

I almost bought some '03 Rocks and Gravel at Astor yesterday but picked up 3 more '01 Wylie Fenaughty instead. Seeing it at $15 I just couldn't make myself buy anything else.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Jay, the 01 W-F is $27 here in never never land. I could do with a case at $15.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

by Jay Miller » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:18 pm

I don't know why it's so inexpensive here in NYC. I'm just rejoicing in my good fortune.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks to cellar tracker I just realized ESJ is the most represented producer in my cellar, passing Cune :shock:

Even more shocking, I now have more syrah than tempranillo (by 2 bottles)!

Many ESJ are for my wedding, but that still counts...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:12 pm

ESJ is the most represented non-German producer in my cellar. If I get Steve past Helmut Donnhoff Laura will kill me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Even more shocking, I now have more syrah than tempranillo (by 2 bottles)!
And with this last order, syrah has flown past nebbiolo for me. Riesling is still tops by a wide margin.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Jay,
You got a steal. I also saw it as CSW. I just bought some more at the regular price direct from Steve and was happy with it. Steve must have a distributor in NYC that is dumping the stuff. Good fortune to you but seems like a potential problem for Steve. ESJ syrah is a true wine geek wine as it does not drink early, develops very well and has flavors and complexity that most wine drinkers don't get. Wish Steve could become more popular but glad he exists and makes such fantastic wines. The '03 Bassatti (sp?) is supposed to be the real gem.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

by Jay Miller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:23 pm

wrcstl wrote:Jay,
You got a steal. I also saw it as CSW. I just bought some more at the regular price direct from Steve and was happy with it. Steve must have a distributor in NYC that is dumping the stuff. Good fortune to you but seems like a potential problem for Steve. ESJ syrah is a true wine geek wine as it does not drink early, develops very well and has flavors and complexity that most wine drinkers don't get. Wish Steve could become more popular but glad he exists and makes such fantastic wines. The '03 Bassatti (sp?) is supposed to be the real gem.
Walt

It was interesting talking to Greg at Astor. He said that when he opened it for the employees about 30% thought it was great and the rest just didn't understand it and thought it was mediocre wine. Your distributor theory matches mine. I don't think it's really a problem for Steve since most of it is being bought up by people who realize it's underpriced and we won't see those prices again. And what isn't will hopefully turn some new people onto his wines. I already made one convert.