The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tuscan, Pfalz, Nahe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Tuscan, Pfalz, Nahe

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm

Saturday we took David to JFK (going to St Andrews for a college visit), then returned to Dobbs Ferry for dinner at the house of some friends. They had made a mild chicken curry, with condiments (nuts, coconut, chutneys, etc) on the side; first course was a poached pear with blue cheese salad. He had a bottle of red and a Riesling ready, I carried the same (we never opened my Morgon).

2003 Terrabianca Campaccio
Though I've liked this wine a lot in previous vintages, I was a little sceptical tasting- would this be an example of the 2003 European curse? No, a pleasant surprise. Certainly a bit lusher/plusher than previous vintages (except maybe the '97), but still with clean bright acidity. Pretty cherry and red plum fruit, a little tobacco and cedar. Tannins are fine but a little out there at the moment, I'd give this one just a couple years in cellar. B+

2004 Theo Minges Gleisweiler Holle Riesling Kabinett (Pfalz)
Not a producer I have heard of before. Not as sweet as some Pfalz kabinetts, brighter than I expected. Tropical (guava/mango) fruit with a squirt of lime, nice (true) Kabinett. B+/B

2005 Donnhoff Riesling QbA
Tasty, but maybe not quite up to the level of some previous vintages of this. Certainly quite drinkable but not as zippy/vibrant as in past. Not a bad value, but for once I don't think I'll go back for more. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.