The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN/Winery Note: Elizabeth Spenser Winery (Rutherford, CA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN/Winery Note: Elizabeth Spenser Winery (Rutherford, CA)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:15 pm

I discovered Elizabeth Spenser Winery on one of my bicycle rides last year, and it has been a regular stop on my Napa County rides every since. Very friendly and knowledgeable crew, and I find the wines consistently balanced and somewhat lean and very food-friendly. They buy grapes from all over the region, as the pair owns no vineyards themselves. Mr. Spenser stated that he looks for the people that he met in "the business" before his wife and he started the wienry in 1998. They have a particularly charming tasting room-a small, cute, 19th century brick building that was the original Rutherfor Post Office. They sponsored a very nice wine release party with fresh oysters (a first for me) and cheeses. as it was almost a perfect day weather wise, I enjoyed the party.

2004 Sonoma Coast Syrah. I still don't understand Syrah very well, but I can appreciate the good ones. This one is definitely young and tight, but it has nice black fruit and some great black pepper. Delicious ***1/2.

2006 Medocino Sauvignon Blanc. A lighter, more New Zealand style with grapefruit and grassy notes. No tropical fruit here, really. This is a very austere wine. Went very well with the oysters. Very nice. ***

2005 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay. Golden color. 20% oak, but still very lean-not heavy or buttery at all. Nice tropical fruit, lemon cream, citrus. Plenty of acid. In American whites, I tend to prefer Sauvignon Blanc, but this afternoon, this Chardonnay was rocking. They said the Napa Valley Chardonnay is 100% stainless steel, I need to open a bottle of that. ****

2005 Mendocino Grenache. I've tried this wine three times. Ruby red color, reticent nose. Definitely some nice strawberry notes, but not over-the-top. Very, very fine savory finish makes this wine a little more than a simple sipper. A grape I'm not familiar with, I'm pleased to see this one in their portfolio. Seemed to be a crowd favorite, too. ****

2005 Mount Veeder Cabernet. I joined their club for the cabs but am really enjoying the other grapes even more. This small production cab leans toward the red fruit side of cab-more raspberry and cherry than blackberry. There's some vanilla oak on the nose, but the palette is refreshingly direct and not over-oaked at all. The winemakers really do understand balance. ***1/2.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach