The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some well-aged wines with dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: Some well-aged wines with dinner

by Howie Hart » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Officially, it was an excuse to get together to plan NiagaraCOOL '07, but we really didn't an excuse to get together. On Saturday night, (March 31) Ed Draves, his wife Anne, and a couple who’ve been close friends for many years, Walt and Laura came over for Dinner. Walt (a home brewer) and his wife are big finger Lakes fans and go there a couple times a year. So, when 2 of the biggest promoters of labruscas and hybrids on the WLDG and a FL lover all get together, what do they drink? Mostly well aged French wines. As is usual with me, I was behind in my preparations, so Anne and Laura kindly helped me finish putting the final touches on some of the dishes. Also, I apologize if the tasting notes are not too detailed. I believe my olfactory senses were impaired as earlier in the day I had used quite a bit of chlorine bleach when cleaning the house, to the point that I actually had to open the windows and turn on the exhaust fan, as it was making me gag and cough. (Ed, I hope you can chime in here.)

With Red Pepper & Green Onion Consommé and Sourdough Bread w/Honey Butter we had Hart’s Cellars ’04 Sparkling Cuvee – a blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir that adequately got things started as we broke the ice.

With Bacon Wrapped Red Snapper stuffed with Shrimp and Cucumber & Tomato Salad came 2004 Chanson Pere Fils Mersault (Burgundy). I purchased this bottle a few weeks ago at an AWS wine tasting and was impressed with it. With and vibrant fruit with the slight buttery and oak undertones, it paired up nicely with this dish.

The main course consisted of Boeuf Bourguignonne, Parsleyed Potatoes and Green Beans. Ed decanted the Leroy 1988 Richebourg (Burgundy) that he brought for about an hour before pouring. He was a bit anxious about the cork condition, but it was in perfect condition. Clear deep ruby colored with good acid structure (I was having trouble smelling). Next I pulled the cork on a 1982 Baden Affentaler Spaetburgunder (Germany). This wine was a gift from my brother-in-law who picked it up for me while visiting Germany a few years ago, mostly because of the novelty of the “Monkey” bottle. But, alas, the cork had dried out and the wine had madierized badly. So then I tried a 1979 Chateau La Lagune (Bordeaux). I discovered this wine in my sister’s basement and little hope for this, as she has ruined many bottles over the years by poor storage (standing upright on the dining room floor in direct sunlight, etc.), but what a very pleasant surprise. This wine is a fifth growth Grand Cru and comes from the southern most classified chateau in Bordeaux. Clear, deeply colored blackish-red and a well integrated tannin structure. We didn’t finish this, so the next day I asked my son, who gave up drinking for Lent, to smell it. “Plums” he said immediately.

With Grapes, Nuts, Crackers & Cheese we had to decide on whether to open the Trimbach 1989 Selection de Grains Nobles Gewurtaminer (Alsace) or the Domaine Bourillon de Orleans 1989 Selection de Grains Nobles (Vouvray), both of which Ed brought. Ed forced me to decide, so I chose the Vouvray. I never knew there was such a thing as late harvest dessert Vouvray! It was excellent – that Chenin character all concentrated and sweet, but it had sufficient acidity to balance nicely.

I was planning coffee and chocolate cake w/cherry topping and as it turned out, Walt and Laura brought a nice bottle of Hunt Country Ruby Port (Finger Lakes). However, it was getting late in the evening and Ed and Anne needed to relieve their baby sitter (I almost forgot about those days), so I prepared some of the dessert for them to take home. Walt and Laura stayed for a while longer as had the port with the cake, but nobody was interested in coffee. While I have to admit it was but wasn't the best port I've had, it was decent and a good match. The next morning I discovered that Ed left behind the Trimbach 1989 Selection de Grains Nobles Gewurtaminer (Alsace). I guess I'll have to cellar that until we get together again. :D

It was a fun evening with some darn good wines and some great company.
Last edited by Howie Hart on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: Some well-aged wines with dinner

by JoePerry » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Good wines! :shock:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:25 pm

The menu, the wines, the guests... sounds like a winner of an evening, Howie!

Thanks for the report.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:51 am

It was a wonderful evening. The food and the company were the highlight of the evening. Anne really enjoyed her time in the kitchen with Howie.
Howie's sparkling wine was very good with crisp apple acidity and a great finish. The Mersault had nice acid to it and was a great wine with the fish.
The Pinot and the Bordeaux were both great wines and a testament to the age ability of fine wines. Delicate flavors and the Bordeaux showed a bit of tannin that was the perfect match to Howie's Boeuf Bourguignonne.
The Cheese course with grapes was a great match to the SGN Vouvray, especially the blu cheese.
Howie crafted the meal to match the wines and did a fantastic job. We regretted not having more time as it was a fun night that was still going strong when we had to leave.
Last edited by Ed Draves on Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 am

Some seriously good wines in there, Howie. Isn't it just fantastic to combine the old three amigo's - good food, good wine and great company?

That Trimbach surely would have been awesome and absolutely at its peak, I reckon. The Vouvray should last for many, many years.

Thanks for your post!
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:54 am

David Lole wrote:Some seriously good wines in there, Howie. Isn't it just fantastic to combine the old three amigo's - good food, good wine and great company?

That Trimbach surely would have been awesome and absolutely at its peak, I reckon. The Vouvray should last for many, many years.

Thanks for your post!

The three amigos! Excellent analogy. I'm already looking forward to getting together again, if for nothing else than the Trimbach. However, now I have to start planning the menu for the NiagaraCOOL picnic. :?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:47 am

Nice notes. Not surprised by the '70 La Lagune, there are some good wines from 1979, and La Lagune is often an overachiever. Thanks
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:20 pm

I liked the LaLagune very much. It's not '75 Lafite, but then.... :wink: