The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

German wine lovers, what did I end up with?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

German wine lovers, what did I end up with?

by Jim Vandegriff » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 pm

I am a sucker for a good auction. Winecommune recently had bottles of 375 ml 2003 Serriger Schloss Saarsteiner auslese goldcapsule at auction. I nabbed two bottles, thinking that maybe the Saar did well in the 03 vintage. I've been scouting around for notes, found only 1 short one (loved the wine), and wondered if anyone out there has had any experience with this bottling. Thanks, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: German wine lovers, what did I end up with?

by Randy Buckner » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:25 am

Jim, I have not had this wine, but here is what Bruce Sanderson had to say, "Terrific expression of slate. Graceful, joined by a chorus of peach, honey and citrus flavors. Concentrated but tightly wound today, with a long, long finish. Drink now through 2022. 250 cases made."

I hope this helps a bit. It looks like you got ahold of some very nice wine indeed.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:00 am

This is a good producer who normally makes very aicidic wines, so theyjust might have a leg up in 2003!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:24 pm

I was hoping exactly that, David, but I don't have any drinking experience of the Saar in 2003. I've actually enjoyed the vibrant fruitiness of the vintage from other producers, and hope that the tendency to higher acidity would make Schloss Saarstein a good bet in 03. Winecommune has these bottles on auction again now, so if anyone wants to try to get some, now is the time. I got mine for $27 per 375 ml, but it might go for less this time around. Enjoying the sun and the garden in norcal, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea