The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The engine is ready to start !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

The engine is ready to start !

by François Audouze » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:16 am

My American friend who is a collector and with whom I share the same way to approach wine, with no excess, is now in Paris, and all the bottles he brought for his tour in Bordeaux after Paris arrived safe.

He will have six dinners in a row in Bordeaux, with people who count in the Bordeaux wine world, and I will join him for his sixth night for a private final dinner with our wines in Bordeaux.

But the beginning of the tour is in Paris, tonight by Guy Savoy, and we will share bottles provided by him and me.

Pol Roger 1921

Salon 1982

Laville Haut-Brion 1945

Smith Haut-Lafitte red 1947

Mouton-Rothschild 1945

Lafite-Rothschild 1868

Charmes Chambertin Joseph Drouhin 1947

Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Huet 1947

Yquem 1891

I will be with my son and my son in law and a friend of mine (without bottle provided). He will be with his son. He provides the Pol Roger 1921, the Laville 1945, the Lafite 1868, the Huet 1947.
At 5 pm I will open the wines according to the "Audouze method".
It should be a great moment.
Notes will surely be made
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: The engine is ready to start !

by wrcstl » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 am

François Audouze wrote:My American friend who is a collector and with whom I share the same way to approach wine, with no excess, is now in Paris, and all the bottles he brought for his tour in Bordeaux after Paris arrived safe.

He will have six dinners in a row in Bordeaux, with people who count in the Bordeaux wine world, and I will join him for his sixth night for a private final dinner with our wines in Bordeaux.

But the beginning of the tour is in Paris, tonight by Guy Savoy, and we will share bottles provided by him and me.

Pol Roger 1921

Salon 1982

Laville Haut-Brion 1945

Smith Haut-Lafitte red 1947

Mouton-Rothschild 1945

Lafite-Rothschild 1868

Charmes Chambertin Joseph Drouhin 1947

Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Huet 1947

Yquem 1891

I will be with my son and my son in law and a friend of mine (without bottle provided). He will be with his son. He provides the Pol Roger 1921, the Laville 1945, the Lafite 1868, the Huet 1947.
At 5 pm I will open the wines according to the "Audouze method".
It should be a great moment.
Notes will surely be made

Francois
I have only had 4-5 bottles in my life of this age and would love to have a chance to try these wines. Bordeaux ages better than most other areas but there is a limit except for the very best producers. My guess is that some are quite old and tired. The Smith Haut Lafite and Laville Haut Brion would be of concern and the 1868's attraction is that of history, not wine. May be wrong, and hope I am but the wine I would most like to try is '47 Huet since it is my birth year and these wines do go on forever and the 1891 Yquem. I have had some old Yquem, not this old, but they tend to get almost black but still quite enjoyable. Looking forward to notes.
Walt
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

Re: The engine is ready to start !

by François Audouze » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I will make a report, but if you allow me a remark, please, have no preconceived ideas.

Wines have a longer life than expected. Of course some wines die. It is generally due to the cork, not to the liquid.
So when the cork played its role (and the Yquem 1891, exactly as the Yquem 1861 that I opened one year ago, had original corks), it gives fantastic wines.

If I talk about those wines, and if I chase them, there is probably one reason : they are good. And as I know how to open them as it has to be done, it gives a score of great bottles which is hard to believe.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered