The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Chateauneuf du Pape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 2004 Chateauneuf du Pape

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:22 am

A tasting of mostly 2004 Chateauneuf du Papes tasted double blind.

Vieux Donjon – colour on the lighter end of the spectrum, decent nose with some pepper, nice middle weight and some spice and pepper in the mouth. I thought it pleasant but ultimately a bit weak.

Janasse – darker with a hotter sweeter nose – some thought this might be the ringer we were told was lurking in the pack. Sweet entry, long finish with good acidity, but on the simple side.

Charbonierre Vielles Vignes – excellent fruit in the nose but not as sweet and heavy as the Janasse, medium body, soft tannin, medium length. Nice but not outstanding.

Duclaux – some nice things in this nose, but not very expressive yet and you had to search for them. Starts out OK on palate but the fruit falls off the edge and it ends badly. No cigar here.

Charbonierre – this one was $12 less expensive than the VV but scored about the same. Reticent nose, fruit but no pepper, good middle and sweet end, well balanced with sweet well integrated tannins.

2003 Vieux Donjon - thrown in to compare the previous vintage. warm violet and tar nose, not quite over the top for me but too ripe for some. Warm long tannic finish, and the nose was a bit oxidative which made us wonder about the future for this wine, although it was pleasant enough now for those that liked the style.

Dom..de l’Oratoire St. Martin Reserve des Seigneurs – a Cairanne from the 2004 vintage, at about half the price of the other wines came up 2nd or 3rd favourite in some pretty tough competition! Dark and peppery, classic garrigue nose, excellent concentration, fine tannins and good length. Great value! Should have seen the high syrah in retrospect.

Chante Perdrix – lighter than the last wine, with sweet fruit and leather nose (no Bret in evidence on any of them today), medium body, nice freshness and good length. Good showing.

Pegau – clear class of the bunch, very dark with a dark, even heavy ripe nose, quite a bit of tannin, huge wine needing lots of time but with all the elements to be very good. If you have this, don’t drink it now – it will drink pretty well, but you’ll be depriving yourself of a future treat!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2004 Chateauneuf du Pape

by Jenise » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Bill, so sorry I couldn't be there. You didn't provide a summary statement. Reading through the notes, though, I'm getting that overall, with only the Pegau getting raves, you were disappointed. Is that a fair conclusion?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:57 pm

My faves were Pegau, the ringer, Perdrix and the two Charbonierres in that order. I would not buy any of the others and would probably stop with Pegau and Perdix.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Bill, regarding the Pegau I was wondering what the price on the 04 was. The 2003 is the last in my market, and I do have one bottle of it, but Wouldn't spend the desired amount of $$ for more iof it. It came out at $70 USD here and in the Spec, but when it made the top 100, My local Big Ass Wine Store (BAWS) bosses promptly raised the price to $99.99 per. I have some of this wine going back to the mid 90's but at $100 I won't be buying anymore of it, sad to say.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Bill, regarding the Pegau I was wondering what the price on the 04 was. .

Just under $70 Can.
Last edited by Bill Spohn on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:43 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. Under $70 is probably a one bottle buy for me. Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Bill. Under $70 is probably a one bottle buy for me. Thanks again.

Bob,
Those prices you're quoting are just short of outrageous. The '04 Pegau can be had for $55-60 from many online retailers. Wine-searcher shows quite a few sources. OTOH, I find a situation here in IN very similar to what you describe: the retailer I bought the '01 Pegau from (for $46) is now selling the '04 for $76!! That's still better than another retailer, who's "current" vintage is the '02.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:03 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Bob,
Those prices you're quoting are just short of outrageous. The '04 Pegau can be had for $55-60 from many online retailers. Wine-searcher shows quite a few sources. OTOH, I find a situation here in IN very similar to what you describe: the retailer I bought the '01 Pegau from (for $46) is now selling the '04 for $76!! That's still better than another retailer, who's "current" vintage is the '02.

Mark Lipton

The '02 is available here for $44.99, but I passed on the vintage. I have tasted it and it is wort maybe $20, if that. The BAWS here in Lexington is well known for inflating prices. A case in point is the 1999 Bois de Boursan Cuvee Felix. Locally it was priced at $59.99 (still is) and I bought 4 bottles at $34.99 saving $25 per bottle. Of course I had to drive to Cincinnati to get it.
Bob Henrick