The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2001 Edmunds St. John Bassetti Vineyard Syrah (San Luis Obispo)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

TN: 2001 Edmunds St. John Bassetti Vineyard Syrah (San Luis Obispo)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Opened blind alongside several Northern Rhone wines this seemed the most Rhone of all of them. It started out with quite the whiff of the horse headed the other way (there was a hilarious discussion between a couple of guys with farming background at the tasting about the aromatic qualities of various animal manures - apparently chicken is the worst.), but after about 40 minutes or so that blew off quite a bit and the wine showed lots of velvelty red and black fruit with well balanced structural elements. It's drinking very well now, but it has the balance and fruit to age for a (long) while longer.

This was the 4th time I had the '01 Bassetti, and the 1st time I noticed that strong barnyard aromatic note. It did blow off though, so no issues there.

Hey Steve - the '01 Bassetti got me thinking about the '01 Peay. How's that one doing these days?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: TN: 2001 Edmunds St. John Bassetti Vineyard Syrah (San Luis Obispo)

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:36 pm

David; Haven't had one in quite a while. Maybe somebody else can report.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:53 pm

I had a peay just this afternoon. Thought Steve quite making wines and was selling Sauvignon Blancs for the Loire, read it somewhere.

David,
I have my '01 Bassetti marked to drink starting this year but to go another 10 years minimum. Only have 4 bottles so would you open one this early?

Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:07 pm

I've had two bottles of Bassetti in the last 3 months and really enjoyed both. My bottle (very well cellared since release) was much less advanced and could have used 2 more years or so. The bottle the other night (bought at retail a month ago by a friend) was ready to go.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:03 pm

My favorite of the ESJ wines, at least so far. I have almost a case, sounds like it's coming around. Nice to hear.