The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Manila offline with Kyrstyn Story

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Manila offline with Kyrstyn Story

by Jay Labrador » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Despite some confusion about when she would actually be in Manila, everything worked out and we were able to put together an offline with Kyrstyn and some friends at Red in the Makati Shangri-La Hotel.

d'Arenberg The Hermit Crab Viognier Marsanne 2005 - Some rubber on the nose. Generally dry but there is a hint of sweetness that makes it quite friendly. I'm not a fan of Viognier but I like this wine. Has vibrant acidity. A very interesting finish that reminds me of durian-without the smell. Very good. A great match for my Thai style soup with crab cakes although it didn't go with Kyrstyn's Filipino style ceviche.

Alejandro Fernandez Tinto Pesquera Crianza 1999 - From Ribera del Duero. Still dark and young-looking. Dry with some dried herbs character. Tannins quite soft and developed. Bordeaux like wine. Elegant. Very good and probably at peak now.

Yering Station Shiraz Viognier Reserve 2002 - Dark. A little hot. I guessed high alcohol and I was right (15%). Surprisingly just medium-bodied. Sweetish but not a fruit-bomb. Rather well balanced in all its components. Has a good dose of acidity for structure and as a counterpoint to the sweetness. Soft tannins make it ready for drinking now although it has the structure to age. Excellent.

Yalumba Late Hrvest Viognier 2005 - Spicy. Sweetness balanced by acid and a slightly bitter citrus rind character in the finish. Some pineapple flavors as well. Real friendly and a good match with my wafer thin candied beet slices with strawberries.

Thanks go to Arnie for arranging things with the restaurant, Vince, who took time out from his meeting to join us, and most of all, Kyrstyn, who braved the 21 hour flight, for giving us an excuse to get together.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Manila offline with Kyrstyn Story

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks again, Jay, for making this happen. I really enjoyed the company and the wine/food. I learned a few things from everyone, and was a big fan of both the viognier marsanne & the late harvest viognier (even if the first wasn't a great match w/ my appetizer!).

Still trying to get my internal clock back on track; have been awake since noon on Sunday, 30 hours straight (my body still thinks I'm 12 hours ahead I guess, and wouldn't let me sleep at all last night) so hopefully this last glass of 2004 Felipe Rutini Malbec from Mendoza will help me on my way. Paired decently enough last night with a frozen pizza and greek salad:-)

Cheers!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Jay -

Candied beet slices sound delicious. Are they made pretty much as one would guess? Anything one should know before attempting them?

Thanks,

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Mike,

Wish I could tell you. I just ordered them from the menu. They were sliced wafer-thin. I suppose they were candied the way you would do orange peel etc. although I can't see how they kept them so thin without breaking them. It seemed like they were cooked in a mild sugar and water solution as they weren't sugary sweet. Layered between them were thin slices of fresh strawberry and the whole thing sat on a raspberry sauce. Hope this helps.

Jay
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks, Jay. Sounds like a nice dessert.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child