The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TNR: Le Grand Clos 2002 - Bourgueil, France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

TNR: Le Grand Clos 2002 - Bourgueil, France

by Alejandro Audisio » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Apparently, this is a 100% Cabernet Franc. Wondering if anybody here know this and/or has tried it?

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: TNR: Le Grand Clos 2002 - Bourgueil, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:33 am

Is the producer Yannick Amirault? One of his cuvées, the basic one, I think, has this name. Amirault is one of the best producers in Bourgueil; indeed, le Classement rates him the best. Other good ones are Druet, Blot, Caslot and Mabileau.

Amirault says that he is aiming for a riper style of Bourgueil so as eliminate the typical green, vegetal notes common in Loire Cabernet franc, which displease the mass of consumers but not the real Loire lovers. Global warming is helping him. I cannot recall tasting le Grand Clos 2002 specifically but I did taste some of his 2002s a few years ago. In general 2002 was a very good year in the region, particularly for Chenin based whites, but the reds are also good, with excellent freshness and fruit, if you can take the typical regional green hints and in some wines drying tannins on the finish. Amirault's offerings are likely to show these traits less than most, but if I remember correctly there were traces.

I seem to recall le Grand Clos 2003 as atypically very ripe and 2004 as more typical with freshness and some structure.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks Tim... yes, it is from the producer you mention.

Thanks for your thoughts.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:22 pm

I recently "discovered" Bourgeil after tasting a '96. It was fantastic. In good years I think these wines age really well and in general are quite underpriced.

Enjoy,
Agostino