The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cave Spring "Off Dry" Riesling 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Cave Spring "Off Dry" Riesling 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:14 pm

Ontario, well, kind of-sort of.

Used to drink Cave Spring quite a bit. Both its regular and off dry styles were very good quality for the money.

Had assumed this was from the Niagara Penninsula, but I noticed this on the front label: "Cellared in Canada from domestic and imported wines." What's this!!??

Back label states: "Due to diminished yields in 2005 we have made this wine in a style consistent with previous vintages through careful selection of international and local wines."

Tangy, green apple fruit, lime, lightly sweet, spicy, rather delicate structure but good intensity with the fruit, very light petrol notes.

An "okay" wine, but not up to the level I have come to expect from this winery. Worked very well with a lunch of spicy Cambodian food.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Cave Spring "Off Dry" Riesling 2005

by Paul B. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Bruce, interesting notes. I had a similar thing happen to me last week while shopping for wine. I thought I had bought a 2005 Inniskillin Pinot Gris entirely from Niagara but when I got it home I noticed that it, too, was non-VQA - yet it was placed among the VQA wines. I thought about returning it on principle, but will probably just use it in my cooking where a bit of dry white wine is sometimes necessary. I'll probably drink the rest assuming it's good, but will have to have an ever sharper eye next time so as not to be deceived again.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:06 pm

In fairness to Cave Spring, they did put it on the front label- it does not sound like they wee trying to hide anything. Ironicly enough, here in the US we have VQA Cave Spring Riesling '05 made from Ontario grapes.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Ed, you are correct - I fault the LCBO and not Cave Spring, mainly for choosing expediency over truth in how they arrange Ontario-cellared vs. Ontario-grown wines.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Ed Draves wrote:In fairness to Cave Spring, they did put it on the front label- it does not sound like they wee trying to hide anything. Ironicly enough, here in the US we have VQA Cave Spring Riesling '05 made from Ontario grapes.

Certainly, I give full marks to Cave Springs for being "up front" about it (no pun intended). Not only did it clearly state on the front where the grapes had come from, but the back label told us why they used some imported grapes.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:35 pm

The Reserve Riesling is a great wine from these guys.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:36 am

Bruce and Paul,
Are you guys coming to NiagaraCool? If you are, I can bring a bottle of the VQA to the picnic and you can try it.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:48 am

Ed Draves wrote:Bruce and Paul,
Are you guys coming to NiagaraCool? If you are, I can bring a bottle of the VQA to the picnic and you can try it.

Thanks for the offer Ed. Not sure. My wife and I have said a couple of times that we should get to an event, either NiagaraCool or the granddadday, McCool.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:52 pm

Hi Ed,

I love NiagaraCOOL and will certainly do my best to be there again this time. I'm also planning to have some of my '06 dry Cayuga on hand!