The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Silverado, Grosbois, Novy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Silverado, Grosbois, Novy

by Jenise » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:12 pm

2005 Silverado Chardonnay, Napa County Back when we were lovebirds, our favorite bistro served Silverado SB and chardonnay, and every now and then we pick up a bottle for sentimental reasons. The reds routinely disappoint, but this chardonnay reminded me why I loved the whites in the first place. Very cool climate profile--bright green apple fruit, some minerality, and none of those deadly tropical notes. Could probably use 6-12 months in the bottle to relax the acidity and show more core flavors, but it's the kind of clean chardonnay I love.

2005 Grosbois Chinon, Loire Valley Too grapey when first opened so left for the next day. Fruit in the raspberry range, very peppery with a sandalwood-like spiciness. I liked it a lot, and was impressed that non-geek guests loved it, especially after having just consumed:

2000 Novy Syrah, Santa Lucia Highlands This wine has really mellowed out since we last had a bottle. It's lost that extracted purple bigness and SLH herbaceousness it had early on, and it's showing nicely toned red fruit and leather. The tannins are mostly resolved, and the wine had an easy, velveteen mouthfeel. A very pleasant, balanced glass of California syrah, and a real eye opener for friends who usually drink within days of purchase.

[/b]
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Silverado, Grosbois, Novy

by Bob Henrick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Jenise, do you think the Silverado chard sees any oak? and if it does it "get in the way" I ask because I want to find a few Cali chards that are either unoaked or so little oak that I won't notice it.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Not to butt in, but I posted a note on a lower price Clos La Chance Chardonnay (Pineapple) that was 100% stainless steel. Only $16 or so....

Also: I'm a member of a small winery club, Elizabeth Spencer, that has 100% steel Napa Valley Chardonnay as one of their wines. Very steely and somewhat austere.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:14 am

Thanks Brian, I suppose I will pass on the Clos La Chance, but I would love to sample the Elizabeth Spencer. That sounds like my kind of chardonnay.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Brian, I paid $9 for the Silverado, but I believe they normally sell for $18ish.

Bob--no, no obvious oak on this wine at all, which was surprising because I remember moderate oak being the winery style.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 pm

Jenise: Semi-off topic- Interesting re: your observation on Silverado. My impressions are that, compared to their Stags'Leap neighbors, their oak regime is pretty restrained. Their cabs I tried last summer certainly showed less oak and more earthiness/mineral/savory notes (even brand new) than Pine Ridge next door. Definitely less oak than, say Steltzer or Hartwell, or Baldacci.

Bob: The Clos La Chance was certainly "fruity" I have to admit I enjoy a little more fruitiness in my whites versus reds, which I want to be bone dry, austere, and even tannic 8) Elizabeth Spencer wines are quite restrained, over all.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Brian, that's not off topic at all. Note I'd called their oak program "moderate", I agree these wines are restrained compared to their neighbors. It's just that this wine showed so little oak it could have been full tank fermented.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Ah-I see. As a budding oakaphobe, any mention of oak scares me. (Although I do like chocolate notes-just not vanilla or "caramel")
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:28 pm

Brian, you have company. I don't even care for vanilla flavor period, let alone from oak in my wine, and I especially don't like toasted oak which is what ruins most California chards for me. This had neither vanilla nor toast.