The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Corkpops gas cartridge bottle openers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Corkpops gas cartridge bottle openers

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:19 pm

Im a big fan of all sorts of wine gadgetry... and Ive been using compressed gas openers for a long time. Any other fans out there?

Also, does somebody know why they dont have a model for super large bottles...? It seems that all you need is to have an extra long needle and these should just work fine for those super large bottles that are sometimes difficult to open with traditional corkscrews, or?
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Corkpops gas cartridge bottle openers

by Alejandro Audisio » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:34 pm

Nobody uses these things around here....?

:shock: :?: :!:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:14 pm

I guess not... I know what you're talking about, but I tend to stay with the conventional Screwpull or the Laguiole corkscrew I received as a gift.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Well, I received one for Christmas and used it twice, but....... generally no. :?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:15 pm

Alejandro, I probably have 6, or 8 of this type wine opener sitting in my cellar. I bought them some years ago for a song, and outside of testing them, I haven't used one. It seems to me that there would be a possibility of pushing a cork into the bottle, especially on an older soaked cork. I usually use my $5 double jointed waiters friend. Of course I have a lever pull, and several screwpulls, and a table top type, and a laguiole. the problem with the leverpull and screwpull is that the teflon wears off and they no longer work very well. a couple new worms will set me back the price of a decent bottle of wine, but someday I will bite the bullet.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:45 pm

I'd be worried about the combination of a very sticky cork and a thin bottle, which would result in a nasty, shrapnel-filled explosion.

I'll stick with the long-screw "waiter's friend" that I got in Sancerre. For all but the trickiest of corks, I prefer this even to the Screwpull.

I've had no luck with the "ah-so" style cork pullers--I invariably end up pushing the cork into the bottle.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:45 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Nobody uses these things around here....?

Sorry, no.

I did use an early version (where you hand pumped air in) many years ago, and it scared me when tehcork stuck firm wondering whether there was a flaw in the glass that would shatter before the cork lifted.

A hinged waiters friend is easy, cheap and effective. The gas thing is a nonsense, imho.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 am

I've got lots of wine opening gadgets bought or given to me. Favourite wine opener is a GBP 0.50 / USD 1.00 waiter's friend from ASDA Walmart.

On gadgets I have just bought a pH meter.

And no, it isn't a White Zin in the glass.
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:44 am

Once you find a wine's pH, what do you do with that information? Do find any correlation between quality and ph?
--Bob
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:59 am

Coooool PH meter !!!!! 8)

To avoid possible cuts with explosions, I wrap a towel around the bottle when using these things.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Bob Cohen wrote:Once you find a wine's pH, what do you do with that information? Do find any correlation between quality and ph?

It is to calibrate my palate wrt acidity. I like high acidity (3.0 > 3.2 pH) but find many people do not.

Now looking for a residual sugar meter.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:19 am

I have one of these and use it sparingly. I find it to be ineffective with tight artificial cork stoppers. It is my weapon of choice, however, with older wines. I use a very light downward twisting approach to ensure I do not push the old cork into the bottle. Once the tip is clear, a small puff of gas sends the cork out quite easily.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:
Bob Cohen wrote:Once you find a wine's pH, what do you do with that information? Do find any correlation between quality and ph?

It is to calibrate my palate wrt acidity. I like high acidity (3.0 > 3.2 pH) but find many people do not.

Now looking for a residual sugar meter.

If you find one, let me know. The standard home winemaker tools only measure up to 1%. Presumably this is because anything higher probably means that you're going to have refermentation.

Maybe you could dilute the sample by a factor of five and measure up to 5% that way. Here's the "Clinitest" sugar testing product, which I believe is used to diagnose diabetes! http://morewinemaking.com/product.html?product_id=18745

Walt
Walter Nissen