The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Moscato d'Asti 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Moscato d'Asti 2001

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:49 am

Imbottigliato per Azienda Girabaldi.

Found a couple of bottles tucked away in a rarely visited corner of my cellar. Was surprised at how fresh they taste after five years. I had always thought that Moscato should be consumed as young as possible.

Lightly effervecent on the tongue, lemon drop candy, fairly thick, mouthwatering. Some acidity on the finish.

An enjoyable wine, but rather odd at the same time. Reminds me of drinking Sprite.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Moscato d'Asti 2001

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 am

Bruce, I remember my first experience with Moscato. I expected to dislike it greatly for the residual sugar, but actually found it highly drinkable and nicely aromatic, and the low alcohol was a major bonus since I could have a few glasses and all was well :)

Now, as to it having held up so well over 5 years ... that might be due to the C02 acting as a counter-oxidant, i.e. a preservative, of sorts. I would think that the positive pressure inside a bottle of sparkling wine pretty much precludes any entry of air, so long as said pressure remains in effect.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:36 am

Paul B. wrote:Now, as to it having held up so well over 5 years ... that might be due to the C02 acting as a counter-oxidant, i.e. a preservative, of sorts. I would think that the positive pressure inside a bottle of sparkling wine pretty much precludes any entry of air, so long as said pressure remains in effect.

Actually Paul, this was a still wine. I guess my comment about the light effervecence on the tongue gave you the wrong impression.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 am

Oops - then I'm all the more impressed by it!

Thanks Bruce.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:46 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:
Actually Paul, this was a still wine. I guess my comment about the light effervecence on the tongue gave you the wrong impression.

Still or Frizzante / semi-sparkling :?:

Maybe the 2 bar or so CO2 at bottling gets dissolved over time? The CO2 level of Champagne falls over time.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:58 pm

My Uncle was cleaning out his basement one afternoon, and he found two bottles of Asti Spumante. One was a limited edition imported Stock Asti Spumante in a black tin with two flute glasses on it; the other was an imported Cinzano Asti Spumante in a gold with black band (with the blue and red Cinzano logo) cardboard box with reinforced liner. Of course the bottles did not have a vintage date on them, but he claimed they were at least 20 years old and that they were wedding favors. Knowing how much I enjoy wine, on one of his monthly visits to our house he brought the wines over. However old these wines were, they both held up nicely. Still slightly bubbly, nice aromatics and structure, and a wonderful yellow golden color. Tilting the flute glass against a white napkin at the very rim of the liquid the hue of the wine was just slightly brownish in color. Definitely showing some age (but 20 years old, I don’t know).

Salute
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:50 am

Victorwine wrote:.... Still slightly bubbly, ... Salute

Fascinating. Would you say it had turned from Spumante (about 5 to 6 bar) to Frizzante (2 - 2.5 bar) or much less sparking than Frizzante?
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:28 am

Moscato d'Asti is definitely a semi-sparkling wine, but the pressure is so low they don't come with Champagne-style corks.

I guess the lack of fizz in the 2001 is one reason to drink them young. I once tried a similarly old (and inexpensive) MdA - it was a bit flat, slightly oxidised, and vegetal. Not unpleasant actually, but certainly not how MdA should be.