The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Gran d'Arte Alicante Bouschet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: '04 Gran d'Arte Alicante Bouschet

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Well, I guess I can add this one on to the life list of 100% varietal alicantes (along with Topolos and Wellington). It's Portugese "vinho regional Estremadura" weighing in at 13.5% alcohol and a ridiculous $6.99 price point at Oddbins.

In the glass, it's black as sin, black as death, black as varietal alicante. Spicy aromas with a little leather and red fruit. On the palate, it's a rather surprising wine. There's an initial balanced hit of acidic red fruit with a distinctly sweet red-fruity mid-palate and a very lush texture. That fades off into soft, silky tannins and acidic red fruit at the finish. Day 2 (sitting on the kitchen counter overnight with cork in bottle) gave a very similar flavor profile with little evidence of oxidation.

Overall, not bad stuff. If it hadn't been for that overly sweet mid-palate, this would have been a really good bottle. As it was, it made for an interesting curiosity that was worth drinking.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: '04 Gran d'Arte Alicante Bouschet

by Ian Sutton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:23 am

We had a couple of Gran d'Arte wines at a Portuguese wine tasting a few years ago and I recall dollops of residual sugar were an issue in those.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: '04 Gran d'Arte Alicante Bouschet

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 am

Sure tasted like residual sugar to me. Seems like a strange choice to make for the winemaker, and I have to think it was purposeful as the wine was otherwise very well made.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child