The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musaroholics pay heed: Barbaglio rocks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Musaroholics pay heed: Barbaglio rocks!

by Saina » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:36 pm

Cooperativa Agricola Santa Barbara Barbaglio Salento IGT 2001 Salento, 12,80€, Negroamaro + Primitivo

This rocks! It's almost like my Love of Ch. Musar in its warmly fruity, yet savoury red toned fruit, peach stone and earth scents. It may not have the complexity, funk, VA or depth of Musar, but neither does it have the price (but it does have plenty of complexity and depth, for sure).

The palate has lovely fruit, but it is nicely acidic, fairly tannic, so it has much grip to it. This wine has a very tight core to it, it is concentrated and perfectly delineated - in short, it rocks.

I have recently drunk several bottles of Barbaglio 2000 also, and they are similar to the 2001, but they aren't so delineated - they don't have the same laser-sharp precision as the 2001. But even the 2000's are great, if a bit raisiny from the (I assue) warmer year.

At 12,80€ from the special selection of our monopoly (which always has a bit steeper price than it should be) I find this a superb QPR wine.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Musaroholics pay heed: Barbaglio rocks!

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:This rocks! It's almost like my Love of Ch. Musar in its warmly fruity, yet savoury red toned fruit, peach stone and earth scents. It may not have the complexity, funk, VA or depth of Musar, but neither does it have the price (but it does have plenty of complexity and depth, for sure).

Gotta git me some of this! Thanks for the report, Otto!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Musaroholics pay heed: Barbaglio rocks!

by Saina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Gotta git me some of this! Thanks for the report, Otto!

I hope you find some on that side of the pond. I would assume that as it's from a co-op it will be distributed quite widely. I hope you post a note if you find it.

It seems to act like Musar in keeping open well: I drank the 2000 over three days and no decline was noticable. The 2001 is on its second day open and is just as fresh as it was yesterday.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.