The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Short notes from a Pirramimma tasting plus Fox Creek and Yalumba

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Short notes from a Pirramimma tasting plus Fox Creek and Yalumba

by Jay Labrador » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Pirra Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon 2006 - Dominant Sauvignon Blanc aromatics. Sour apple and lemon with a hint of sweetness. A little too acidic for my taste but light and refreshing on a hot day.

Pirra Grenahce/Shiraz/Merlot 2006 - Juicy, sweet and simple. Blah wine.

Pirra Sparkling Chardonnay 2006 - Appley and short. On the sweet side. Good enough for me.

Pirramimma Old Bush Vine Grenache 2003 - Dark fruit, a little hot. Meaty, dry and medium-bodied. Obvious vanilla and coconut which makes it over oaked for my taste. Long finish. Soft and ready to drink. Just OK.

Pirramimma Petit Verdot 2003 - Dark. Sweet chocolate nose. Medium-heavy wine with some cherry character. Deep flavors. Again, too much oak for me. Dry, bitter cocoa. Soft tannins make this ready to drink. I was expecting something more tannic and rustic but still, an interesting wine for me and the best in the range.

Pirramimma Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 - Very dark. Mocha. High alcohol heat. Sweet. Heavy, tannic wine. Needs time. Again, overoaked. Long finish. Tiring wine to drink.

Pirramimma Shiraz 2004 - Soft, chocolatey, velvety smooth. Heavy wine with an abrupt finish. The oak here was better integrated although the wine wasn't interesting.

Fox Creek JSM Shiraz/Cabernet Franc 2003 - Very hot. Overripe fruit. Sweet but not cloying. A long, rough and dry finish that, paradoxically, reminds me of caramel candy. I didn't like this.

Yalumba Menzies Cabernet Sauvignon Coonawarra 1997 - Tasted blind for an options game. I got the year and continent wrong but got the grape right. Dry. Good acid structure. Still plenty of life in this wine. Browning a bit but still youthful. Should be good with food. Very nice.

Pirramimma Vintage Fortified Grenache 2002 - Sweet with a texture like grape skins. Coffee -ish flavor. Light for a sticky which makes it real easy to drink. Nicely balanced. A little spirity on the finish.