The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1978 California Cabernets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 1978 California Cabernets

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Got together last night for a potluck dinner and tasting of some 1978 California Cabernets.

1995 Charles Heidsieck Brut Blanc de Blancs – smooth entry, soft in the middle with lower acid than many, very tasty and with good length. Delightful wine.

With various pupus including mushroom tarts, quails eggs, sliced seared Ahi….

2005 Benton Lane Pinot Gris (Oregon) – nice to see a screwcap wine from this area. Showing some light colour, good fruit on palate, nice fruit based nose, bit hard to nail down, and excellent balance.

With seafood medley

1978 Villa Mount Eden Cabernet Reserve – brought this out to accompany a mushroom Napoleon (great freshly made puff pastry) and held it over for the other 5 1978s. Only slight orange at the edges, the colour paler than in year’s past, but still nice medium ruby. Good varietal cab nose with obvious maturity, tons of flavour in the mouth but very little tannin, Ready and delightful, my second best wine of the flight. Made by Nils Venge, who had also done the late 1960s, particularly the memorable 1968 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard. Anyone know where he got to later on?

With rotisserie BBQ lamb and fingerling potatoes:

1978 Conn Creek Cab – heavier nose than the Mt Eden and a definite mint component, and even less tannin, juicy end as a result of good acidity – quite a tasty wine.

1978 Stags Leap Cellars Lot 2 – a caramel custard nose, then lovely sweet fruit in the middle and a soft lower acid finish ending sweetly. The most mature of the first three wines.

1978 Chappellet – the nose seemed ever so slightly musty for a minute and the level of fruit was considerably lower here. The wine was a bit hollow, and although it was the most Bordeaux like, I think it was just showing age and was sliding/had slid over the top of the proverbial hill.

1978 Caymus – this predates Special Selection, so whatever fruit they had went into this wine. Dill and eucalyptus nose showing faint tannin and more acidity, but the fruit was also lower. We divided a bit on this one, with me judging it to have slid like the Chappellet and others thinking it just back from the brink and still pleasurable. Let’s compromise and say it was a weak showing and age is affecting the wine.

1978 Duckhorn – this was one of the top two (with the Mt. Eden) of the night and was the youngest seeming wine. Great fruit in nose and palate, juicy and long, this will last quiet a few years yet.

With cheese:

1977 Monterey Peninsula Winery Amador Zinfandel Ferrero Ranch – I used to make a point of stopping at this winery when I went to Monterey to race old cars at Laguna Seca in the early 80s – does anyone know where they went to? They always had some idiosyncratic but interesting wines and these old style Zins are among my favourites. The crop in this drought year was only 25% or normal and this wine was intensely tannic when young, but had some interesting elements that I thought might eventually pay off. Opening it 27 years later, it showed a slightly warm nose, deep dark fruit nose, big body and it still has some of the tannin I remember but it is now drinkable and worked fairly well with the cheeses.

I also pulled out another wine I had picked up on the way home from the races:

1978 Ch. St. Jean Alexander Valley Johannesburg Riesling IDBS (Individuall dried bunch selected). – this was their TBA, a wine picked at super high sugar levels and fermented to 8.3% alcohol, at which point there was still 28.2% residual sugar! It is now an almost opaque brown colour, but there is no hint of maderisation, rather you get honey with a hint of dill in the nose, and the wine is nectar, hard to describe, with the acidity to still make it lively and interesting. This was a particularly good bottle, and it vies with any sweet wine made in North America. The Canadian Ice Wines are inept jokes compared to this. A very classy wine made by Dick Arrowwood before he left St. Jean to found his own winery.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: 1978 California Cabernets

by Randy Buckner » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:20 pm

Nice notes. The 78s have been amazing. My top three:

Diamond Creek Lake
Mayacamas
Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace

Sadly, all of my 78s are gone.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Bill
Nice interesting selection of wines and great notes. It's instructive to see your opinion on the MPW Zin for tastings 27 years apart. I wonder what the Stags Leap tasted like when young...? I'd venture it may have been the more (instantly) appealing wine.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:12 pm

It has been several years now, but I got to try a number of 78's and 79's side by side. I remember the 78 and 79 Shafer being the class of the field (and I think that's pre-Hillside so I suspect those grapes were in the regular bottling then).
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:18 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Got together last night for a potluck dinner and tasting of some 1978 California Cabernets.

1995 Charles Heidsieck Brut Blanc de Blancs – smooth entry, soft in the middle with lower acid than many, very tasty and with good length. Delightful wine.

With various pupus including mushroom tarts, quails eggs, sliced seared Ahi….

2005 Benton Lane Pinot Gris (Oregon) – nice to see a screwcap wine from this area. Showing some light colour, good fruit on palate, nice fruit based nose, bit hard to nail down, and excellent balance.

With seafood medley

cab nose with obvious 1978 Villa Mount Eden Cabernet Reserve – brought this out to accompany a mushroom Napoleon (great freshly made puff pastry) and held it over for the other 5 1978s. Only slight orange at the edges, the colour paler than in year’s past, but still nice medium ruby. Good varietal maturity, tons of flavour in the mouth but very little tannin, Ready and delightful, my second best wine of the flight. Made by Nils Venge, who had also done the late 1960s, particularly the memorable 1968 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard. Anyone know where he got to later on?

With rotisserie BBQ lamb and fingerling potatoes:

1978 Conn Creek Cab – heavier nose than the Mt Eden and a definite mint component, and even less tannin, juicy end as a result of good acidity – quite a tasty wine.

1978 Stags Leap Cellars Lot 2 – a caramel custard nose, then lovely sweet fruit in the middle and a soft lower acid finish ending sweetly. The most mature of the first three wines.

1978 Chappellet – the nose seemed ever so slightly musty for a minute and the level of fruit was considerably lower here. The wine was a bit hollow, and although it was the most Bordeaux like, I think it was just showing age and was sliding/had slid over the top of the proverbial hill.

1978 Caymus – this predates Special Selection, so whatever fruit they had went into this wine. Dill and eucalyptus nose showing faint tannin and more acidity, but the fruit was also lower. We divided a bit on this one, with me judging it to have slid like the Chappellet and others thinking it just back from the brink and still pleasurable. Let’s compromise and say it was a weak showing and age is affecting the wine.

1978 Duckhorn – this was one of the top two (with the Mt. Eden) of the night and was the youngest seeming wine. Great fruit in nose and palate, juicy and long, this will last quiet a few years yet.

With cheese:

1977 Monterey Peninsula Winery Amador Zinfandel Ferrero Ranch – I used to make a point of stopping at this winery when I went to Monterey to race old cars at Laguna Seca in the early 80s – does anyone know where they went to? They always had some idiosyncratic but interesting wines and these old style Zins are among my favourites. The crop in this drought year was only 25% or normal and this wine was intensely tannic when young, but had some interesting elements that I thought might eventually pay off. Opening it 27 years later, it showed a slightly warm nose, deep dark fruit nose, big body and it still has some of the tannin I remember but it is now drinkable and worked fairly well with the cheeses.

I also pulled out another wine I had picked up on the way home from the races:

1978 Ch. St. Jean Alexander Valley Johannesburg Riesling IDBS (Individuall dried bunch selected). – this was their TBA, a wine picked at super high sugar levels and fermented to 8.3% alcohol, at which point there was still 28.2% residual sugar! It is now an almost opaque brown colour, but there is no hint of maderisation, rather you get honey with a hint of dill in the nose, and the wine is nectar, hard to describe, with the acidity to still make it lively and interesting. This was a particularly good bottle, and it vies with any sweet wine made in North America. The Canadian Ice Wines are inept jokes compared to this. A very classy wine made by Dick Arrowwood before he left St. Jean to found his own winery.

Nils is still very active as a winemaker in the valley. He went to Groth after Villa Mt Eden then eventually started his own winery Saddleback and another winery later on Venge Vineyards + he has been a consulting winemaker to many others. His son Kirk is in the business with him and is considered an excellent winemaker in his own right. Nils has been a personal friend for over 25 years and still upbeat as always.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:23 pm

After I posted, I checked my cellar and I still have two bottles of Villa Mt Eden cab-- 1975 & 1978. Probably bring them out soon and drink with Nils.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:After I posted, I checked my cellar and I still have two bottles of Villa Mt Eden cab-- 1975 & 1978. Probably bring them out soon and drink with Nils.

Please tell him that he was remembered fondly by a group of Vancouver tasters and that this wine (Mt. Eden) still does him credit!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Saddleback has an awesome "Old Vines" Zinfandel. One of my absolute favorites! Nils' Saddleback Cab is pretty nice, too-although I don't ike the family's "Venge" label cab (Kirk's winery) as much. (Kirk does have a great Syrah and Merlot, though)

Is Mount Eden still making good wines? Saint Helena Wine Company recommended them for their leaner, less alcoholic style.

Lou: Off Topic: I rode my bicycle this afternoon up to the gate of your family's property on Dyer? Road. What a beautiful property!!!!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
1978 Caymus – this predates Special Selection, so whatever fruit they had went into this wine.

Bill, I don't want to be a besserwisser, but since I have a 1979 Caymus Special Select in my cellar (scheduled for a tasting this fall, btw), your comment made me curious about when they started producing their Special Select. On their website I found:

Caymus history page wrote:1975 From the 1975 vintage, Caymus introduces "Special Selection," a Cabernet Sauvignon chosen from the best lots and given extended barrel aging. Randall Dunn joins the team as winemaker.

So it seems they made a Special Select in 1978. Perhaps that wine would have impressed you more?

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Lou: Off Topic: I rode my bicycle this afternoon up to the gate of your family's property on Dyer? Road. What a beautiful property!!!!

We live quitely retired in the Silverado Country Club area. I don't know who owns the property you mentioned but there is more than one Kessler in the valley. Dyer road would be a nice area to own propery. Give a ring sometime.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:34 pm

I am a total idiot. KELHAM, not KESSLER.
:oops:

You know a lot about Napa and wine, AND I garbled the name in my mind, so I assumed you were these folks:

http://www.kelhamvineyards.com/home.cfm

Dwyer's the road I travelled down-before getting totally drenched by that half hour downpour yesterday. Yep...that's my excuse...the damp scrambled my brains. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:13 am

After I posted, I checked my cellar and I still have two bottles of Villa Mt Eden cab-- 1975 & 1978. Probably bring them out soon and drink with Nils

I've still a half case of the 80, drank up the 78 a year or so ago. Still youthful.