The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A tale of 2 Selbachs, + Briords, LaChance, cheap Bdx

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: A tale of 2 Selbachs, + Briords, LaChance, cheap Bdx

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:20 pm

Selbach-Oster is one of my favorite Mosel producers, and I had a couple of the Rieslings, tasted over several days and face to face:

2005 Selbach-Oster Bernkasteler Badstube Kabinett
Boy, this is big for Kabinett. I was expecting that from 2005, but even so was surprised. Peach fruit with a hint of red berries, by day 2 showing more tropical (mango/pineapple). Acidity isn't bad, but this is very sweet.
A touch of mineral on the finish. For a kabinett a C+, but as a Riesling a B/B+

2004 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Spatlese
Much more citrusy, lime dominates though there is some green apple. Actually feels lighter and drier than the Kabinett. Brisk and crisp, quite enjoyable. B+

2005 Pepiere "Clos de Briords" Muscadet
I know this is infanticide, but I really enjoyed this over 3 nights. Sizzling acidity, mineral and saline notes dominate, but there actually is a surprising ripeness to the fruit underneath. Just lovely. A-

2005 Clos LaChance "Ruby Throated" Hummingbird Series Cabernet Sauvignon (Central Coast)
Sweet red plum and cherry, not especially cabernetish. This isn't complex, but for the level ($12) it is quite concentrated and long. A little coffee and oak. Perfect backyard grilling wine, glad to have it as al fresco weather is finally here. B+/B

2005 La Croix du Roche (Bordeaux Superieur)
Sweet cassis fruit, medium-bodied, maybe a tad short, but a decent QPR at $6/375. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A tale of 2 Selbachs, + Briords, LaChance, cheap Bdx

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:46 pm

I agree with you on the Selbachs. I actually have the Badstube in the fridge right now for some Indian spiced pork chops tonight. I figured the weight of the 2005 would be a good match to the strong and spicy Indian flavors.

2004 is so much more true to type. I know there's a commodity thing about kabinett, but I can't help but thinking that in the long run the producers/importers are doing themselves a disservice by labelling and selling such wines as kabinett.

And as for the Briords...indeed!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A tale of 2 Selbachs, + Briords, LaChance, cheap Bdx

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:49 am

Well I was going to try the Badstube Kabinett, but it was corked!
Decisions are made by those who show up