The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rheinhessen Spätlese and Auslese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

WTN: Rheinhessen Spätlese and Auslese

by Keith M » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 am

2005 Braun Niersteiner Ölberg Rheinhessen Riesling Spätlese (Germany) 11% – appears light gold, tiny spritz, smell apple, honeycomb, lemon, thick and quite nice, mouthfeel wonderful thickness without cloying, taste stone and honey, with time opens up into a stony grapefruit rind mix, interesting at parts, but not particularly well-balanced, felt like a wine that is better to taste than drink

1999 Freiherr Heyl zu Herrnsheim Nierstein Rheinhessen Riesling Auslese (Germany) 11% – appears medium dark gold, smell honey, deep lurking fruit, lime, mouthfeel delicious dense but quite refreshing, taste simple but deep honey and lime, not a memorable wine, but well balanced and easy to drink
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rheinhessen Spätlese and Auslese

by David M. Bueker » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:23 am

Keith,

Do you have any more details on Braun? You have posted notes on this producer before (IIRC), and I have not heard of htem.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: WTN: Rheinhessen Spätlese and Auslese

by Keith M » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:28 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Do you have any more details on Braun?

Unfortunately, not really. I had run into the name of Heinrich Braun before my visit up there, but hadn't really heard anything about the producer, besides their VDP membership. Had a very nice tasting experience with Uwe Lorenz, who I believe is their plant manager, or whatever the proper translation of Betriebsleiter is. We had a great conversation with him, but it was mostly regarding my questions about the terroir around Nierstein, as it was my first foray into the Rheinhessen.

The info I did pick up, based on my limited German, is as follows. They focus on Trocken wines (mostly Kabinett with a few Spätlesen), including Riesling, Weiss- and Grauburgunder and Chardonnay (and I think Sylvaner as well). We tried the wines in their basic, Gutswein and Roter Hang quality levels, which were pretty competitively priced, all but one bottle were less than 10 euro. They also have a premium wine they produce more occassionally called Summa Cum Laude--didn't experience that. Vineyards include Pettenthal, Oelberg and Hipping. My overall impression so far has been that the wines are pretty good everyday values--none of them are boring (subjective, but my primary concern at the price points for Braun) and, though they can be a bit rough and gritty, it's often in a challenging and interesting way for me, but definitely not polished. I really enjoyed the experience tasting with them and have generally enjoyed the wines--though I've found a lot more fruit in some than I recall from the tasting, probably as the mineral content in some made it harder for me to detect the fruit in others. I have a few left, so you'll probably see a couple more TN data points as I get to them . . .