The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Why don't you WTN?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: Why don't you WTN?

by Marc D » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:05 pm

Bruce K wrote:I haven't posted any in a while because my workload has been very heavy lately and it's been hard to find the time. So I've got a huge backlog piling up and the bigger it gets, the more intimidating it is to think about working through it.

For what it's worth, reading others' tasting notes is my favorite part of participating in this forum. When I don't respond (which is most of the time), it's either because 1) I don't have a question or 2) I have nothing to add or share that might contribute to further discussion. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate the time and effort it took for someone to post them or that I didn't enjoy reading them.

I have missed your notes on the Loire reds, etc. Post when you get dug out of your current workload.

2 I tried recently I think you would like, the 2004 Baudry Grezeaux and the 05 Breton Franc a Pied, excellent examples of Chinon and Bourguiel. I will try to post something on them later.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:01 pm

I read nearly every WTN. Usually, I have no basis for responding, or discussing the subject wine. I definitely appreciate reading the notes none the less. If I weren't such a slug I would post more notes myself. Unfortunately, my insight is often limited to "tastes good", or "I don't like it".
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Marc. Maybe I'll just post my Loire notes and get those out of the way.

I absolutely love every Baudry Grezeaux I've ever tried; will definitely try to get ahold of the 2004. I do have the 2005 Breton Franc a Pied, haven't popped one yet -- do you think it's a wine to cellar or drink now?
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:49 pm

I do have the 2005 Breton Franc a Pied, haven't popped one yet -- do you think it's a wine to cellar or drink now?

I just finished a bottle of the 05 Franc a Pied, really a very nice wine. It is earthy with lots of tobacco that shows up as it opens, and the usual blackberry leaf that I find in Bourgueil. Not much green or herbaceousness. It is good to drink now, but has some pretty rustic tannins, so better with food. I think it would age beautifully for 10+ years as there is plenty of stuffing, acidity and tannin, but I'm a little worried about aging these as they are bottled with the fake plastic cork. Do you have any experience aging these wines that have the fake corks?

Marc
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:20 pm

I'm a little worried about aging these as they are bottled with the fake plastic cork. Do you have any experience aging these wines that have the fake corks?

Unfortunately, no. I had a Texier Seguret with a fake cork at four years of age that was fine, but no experience with aging wines with fake corks for a long time and very little even at shorter durations like three or four years. From viewing this forum and others, I get the sense that there is no definitive answer to this question but that a growing majority are concluding that wines bottled with fake corks do not age well. Given that this Breton is so good now, I suspect I'll try to open it reasonably soon and not take the risk.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:53 pm

I looked at David Lillie's remarks on the CSW website, and he recommends drinking it over the next 2-3 years. I can only guess the reason he says to drink early is the fake cork, because it seems built to last to me.

BTW, it has lots of sediment, so stand your bottle up for a week or 3 before opening.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 am

Jumping in late but I don't post much at all WTN or otherwise due to strange set up at work. The only time I usually check in is from my desk at work when eating lunch. Not sure why but our system allows me to read but not log in and therefore not post. Time limitations make posting from home rare.

Add me to the list that reads lots of WTN, even if I rarely respond to them.
Previous