The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WineAdvisor: When blends break the law

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

Re: WineAdvisor: When blends break the law

by Steve Slatcher » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Isaac

Winemakers are not allowed to lie, but the definition of truth depends on the regulatory structure. I am basically suggesting, given that wine is made under many different sets of regulations, that bottles could be a little clearer about what is meant by the varietal labels they carry.

For that matter, a few back label words about old world AC-type labelling would be useful too. Perhaps a URL with an explanation.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 pm

steve.slatcher wrote:Isaac

Winemakers are not allowed to lie, but the definition of truth depends on the regulatory structure. I am basically suggesting, given that wine is made under many different sets of regulations, that bottles could be a little clearer about what is meant by the varietal labels they carry.

For that matter, a few back label words about old world AC-type labelling would be useful too. Perhaps a URL with an explanation.

Steve, why in the world should I look all over the internet to find out what is in the bottle? Just put it on the label, front or back. Simple?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:19 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
steve.slatcher wrote:For that matter, a few back label words about old world AC-type labelling would be useful too. Perhaps a URL with an explanation.

Steve, why in the world should I look all over the internet to find out what is in the bottle? Just put it on the label, front or back. Simple?

It might be worth trying, but I think you'd find it quite a challenge to summarise AC-Type rules on a bottle label. Looking all over the internet, or worse, is what you have to do now - a URL on the bottle would vastly simplify things.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:57 am

It would be nearly impossible to get all the info that people (and the government) want on the label. A summary would be fine (e.g. "primarily (79%) Cabernet, with additions of Malbec, Merlot and Petit Verdot"), then a for more information URL would be no big deal.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Steve, why in the world should I look all over the internet to find out what is in the bottle? Just put it on the label, front or back. Simple?
That would work for me. After all, not everyone is as computer savvy as we, or even has easy access to a computer or the net.

What it all comes down to is that American consumers have the idea that single-variety wines are superior. Some wine-makers want to trade on that, without having to actually make a single-variety wine to do so.

In fact, that is what is already happening, and has been for a long time. IIRC, it used to be the case that California wines needed only be 51% in order to use the varietal name on the label. Federal law changed that to 75%, but 25% can still change the character of a wine tremendously. So why not 90% for all varieties? Why not 100%?
Previous