The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Is there a cardiologist in the house? ('88 Pomerol, '97 Masi, etc)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Is there a cardiologist in the house? ('88 Pomerol, '97 Masi, etc)

by Dale Williams » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:43 pm

Betsy's NYC Opera season finished, she has chamber travel coming up, we decided to get a couple dinner parties in this week. So 4 dear friends joined us last night, for a carnivoric carnival.

Betsy made a country pate from recipe in NYT, an ungainly but delicious way to greet the guests. We had a bottle of the NV Lucas Carton "Cuvee Lancel" Brut Champagne (I believe this is a Vranken bottle with a custom label), a medium-bodied bubbly with apple fruit and a bit of bready yeast. A bit short. B/B-

First sitdown course was a fennel, radicchio, and proscuitto salad with anchovy/date vinaigrette, I had a white picked out to ease up into dinner:

2003 Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne Blanc
This is a wine I liked in 2002, and I thought its rouge sibling did well in 2003. But this suffered from 2003 disease (a bit flabby), and more surprisingly seemed a bit flat and even dilute. Certainly drinkable (and was finished by night's end), but I dashed to cellar for a replacement. B-
C+

2004 Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay.
Clean apple and pear fruit, nice texture, crisp acidity, minerally finish. In the battle of the $12 white Burgs, the clear champ. B+

Main course was a Venetian braised beef dish, cooked in 3 bottles of red wine* with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, coffee beans, etc. Sides were "party potatoes" (with butter, sour cream, milk, AND cream cheese) and pea/broccoli rabe mix. Three reds made the rounds:

1988 Ch. Le Bon Pasteur (Pomerol)
Opened this one because 2 guests are ministers (though both don't like the term "pastor" - say they don't want a congregation of sheep). I thought corked at first, but it was just under-capsule funk. A bit quiet in decanter. Black cherry and currant fruit, soft texture, tannins mostly (but not totally) resolved. My impression is this might be just a tad past its prime, yet I'm surprised when a final pour (probably 4 hours after decanting is maybe the most open and lively of the night. B+/B

1997 Masi Campofiorin Ripasso (Veronese)
A Veneto wine for the dish. This has that fig meets raisin thing I sometimes get from Amarone, big ripe fruit, surprising acidity. Clear table favorite, but not mine- just not my favorite flavor profile. B

2001 Domaine d'Andezon Cotes du Rhone
Pretty decent lighter bodied Syrah, pretty red and black berry fruit, a little smoke. Fun if not complex. B

We made the switch to cheeses (Purple Haze, Drunken Goat, Cashel Blue, and Zamarano) and a fruit tart. A bottle of the Alvear Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez that has been opened a couple months makes the rounds, no noticable deterioration after 60-90 days in the fridge! Treacly, caramelly, thick. Some liked a lot!

Fun night with fun people.

Tonight we needed something lighter, Betsy was with her niece for the day so I took care of dinner prep. Lemon sole in a mushroom/butter sauce, leftover pea/rabe, leftover grain salad, and baby bok choy. Wine was the 2005 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Beaujolais Blanc. A bit riper than some vintages, but with good acidity nonetheless. Chalk, flint, hint of earth around a firm core of pear fruit. Lovely value. B+

*The wine used to make the Venetian beef (Lidia Bastianich recipe) was the 2002 Tore del Moro Morellino di Scansano. Betsy saced me an ounce of bottle #3. Nice cherry fruit, a little oak, a tad short on finish but a fine value as a cooking wine at $4.25 closeout. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Is there a cardiologist in the house? ('88 Pomerol, '97 Masi, etc)

by Redwinger » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:16 am

Dale Williams wrote:2003 Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne Blanc
This is a wine I liked in 2002, and I thought its rouge sibling did well in 2003. But this suffered from 2003 disease (a bit flabby), and more surprisingly seemed a bit flat and even dilute. Certainly drinkable (and was finished by night's end), but I dashed to cellar for a replacement. B-
C+

I tried the Vero Blanc a few vintages ago (not sure of the vintage) and found it lacking and unispiring...OK, flabby comes to mind.

Tonight we needed something lighter, Betsy was with her niece for the day so I took care of dinner prep. Lemon sole in a mushroom/butter sauce, leftover pea/rabe, leftover grain salad, and baby bok choy. Wine was the 2005 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Beaujolais Blanc. A bit riper than some vintages, but with good acidity nonetheless. Chalk, flint, hint of earth around a firm core of pear fruit. Lovely value. B+

Thanks for the reminder to grab some of this Brun Beau Blanc before hot weather arrives.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!