The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How does one reconcile being a vegetarian and a wine lover?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: It may sound wierd but give it a try.

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Just depends on what you like. It would obviously not be vegeterian with anchovies, but I usually put them in my salads.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: It may sound wierd but give it a try.

by Dale Williams » Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 am

Others have offered good examples. It's certainly not hard to match most great whites or aromatic reds with good acidity (Nebbiolo, Burgundy, etc) with non-meat dishes. But probably no type of wine is harder to match with vegetarian dishes that Cabernet or other low-medium acidity high tannin wines. As you live in Bordeaux and are a believer in the innate superiority of Bdx (based on numerous arguments we've had in past :) ),I could see your train of thought. But I will say that a cavatelli with black truffle & mushrooms first course paired extremely well with several 1982 Bordeaux at an '82 dinner last month (with a dozen wines to go through, we had red Bdx throughout meal). So while meat or game birds are my first choice with Bordeaux, you can do very well with other choices.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: How does one reconcile being a vegetarian and a wine lover?

by RichardAtkinson » Tue May 01, 2007 1:35 pm

I guess it depends on to what degree of vegetarianism you practice. If you are a vegan, then I'd venture to say that your choices are more limited.

If you are ovo-lacto and open to dairy / cheese etc ? The I'd say there shouldn't be any problem with almost any red with a decent acid backbone.

I could see some big, soft, fruit forward reds causing some problems. But in those cases...why not just drink the wine by itself. If you like that style.

Dina and I almost always throw in several meatless meals a week to pair with wine. Chianti, Barbera, Nebbiolo for pastas w/ EVOO based sauces or marinara...or caprese...antipasto plate (sans meat..just cheeses and various olives etc..)

If health reasons ever put me in a position that precluded eating meat, I could be quite happy on a vegetarian diet w/ all sorts of wine.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: How does one reconcile being a vegetarian and a wine lover?

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 02, 2007 9:01 am

I had the opportunity to ask Fred Grandy (Gopher on "The Love Boat" and former US Congressman) you question. He is a pretty strict Vegan. His response to me this morning:

"Jon,
Since I don't drink much wine I can't say what wines best compliment a vegan diet. Most people I know on a vegan regimen are not big drinkers or oenophiles. Fred"

Not much help perhaps.
Previous