The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Saturday Night Party-Whites, Syrahs, and a couple of others (Long)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Saturday Night Party-Whites, Syrahs, and a couple of others (Long)

by Brian K Miller » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:58 am

A good time, with good food, was had by all.

The Whites:

Chateau Boswell Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 2003. This was a nice surprise and many people loved this white. A glowing golden color in the glass-this wine sits pretty. Tropical fruits and melon and heat on the nose (more on the latter below) This was also reflected in the palette-tropical fruits, pineapple, melons, and citrus. What made the wine was the very refreshing character, it felt "light" on its feet and there was bracing acidity. HOWEVER, the wine was too hot. 15% listed alcohol and you could taste that on the finish. Many tasters loved it, but...that hot nose and finish detracted. Still, I give this a solid because of the purity of flavors and the acidity ***

Farrell-Park Sauvignon Blanc Napa 2005. This small Napa producer makes some nice wines. Beautiful pale color in the glass. Nice citrusy nose. delicious citrus -grapefruit-on the palette. What a great summer quaffer. Only criticism is the acidity could have been more bracing. (After drinking Chablis this weekend, I'm searching for acidity!) Solid ***. I would buy this again.

Elizabeth Spencer Rose of Syrah 2006 Sonoma Coast. There is still a prejudice out there against Roses, but I loved this refershing, nicely acidic, slightly savory Rose. ***1/2

Now for the Reds:

Joseph Swan 2001 Trenton Road Syrah. Very nice. Inky purple with red rim in the glass. Nice cherry/raspberry on the nose, which is confirmed when one sips this beauty. This wine is under $30! Definitely the red fruit side, with nicely resolved tannins. Not quite as much black pepper or meatiness as when tried at the wienry. Many people seemed to really like this wine! Still a lovely ***

Havens Hudson Vineyard 2001 Syrah.
Yum! More black in the glass, with just a hint of red rim. This wine had a very nice smooth, rich, blackberry character tot the flavors. Some coffee? white pepper, a bit of bacon. SMOOOTHHHHHH. One of my favorites of the night! ****

Saint Cosme Saint Joseph 2004 (Northern Rhone) Decanted. A little more reticent tonight than the last time I tried it, but still a very nice wine. Like last time, nice minerality that adds another dimension to the black fruit and white pepper. Solid *** tonight. I know this was drunk way too young, and I see a strong upside potential for this wine.

Château Furcas Loubaney (Listrac-Médoc, Listrac-Médoc) 1999 A very nice Cru Bourgois! Red and black fruit nicely balanced with a tiny hint of herbaciousness, but not very much. Defintiely earthy and savory, but still quite a nice bit of fruit. This showed very well tonight, and at under $20 I would rather drink this than most cheap Napa Cabs. Lovely wine ***

Vine Cliff 2003 Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon. A major surprise for me, as this was purchased untasted based on a firm recommendation by the manager at BevMo. He was right. This did not show as an oaky fruit bomb at all. Nice, complex nose with a lot of undescribable things going on. Black in the glass. On the palette, this is a very elegant and restrained Napa Cab, with mostly blackberry and cassis. Just a touch of secondary flavors-I'm guessing this would be even nicer in five to ten years. Solid ***1/2-with upside potential.

Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Sonoma Coast Syrah. A lovely, lovely wine. Seemed to be WOTN for many of us here. Similar in character to the very nice Havens-dark fruit, smooth, rich, but not syrupy or sweet at all. Some nice white pepper and a hint of meatiness. This showed better tonight than at the winery!! Lovely ****

Signorello 2004 Syrah (Napa Valley). Enjoyable quaffer that didn't show quite as strongly as the others tonight. "Fruitier" than the other wines tonight, this still had some nice pepperiness. **
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach