The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 1999 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 pm

1999 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (4/30/2007)
Another disappointment from Guigal. This one just had no life on the palate. No obvious signs of TCA or any other damage, but I'm hoping for stealth cork, as there was zero fruit and just a flat, leathery, iron mess on the palate. NR (flawed)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: 1999 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Brune et Blonde

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 pm

How disappointing, David. I've had 3 bottles over the past few years, and each one drank beautifully. I've been holding on to my last remaining 2 bottles, hoping to get some more complexity in a few years. I certainly hope that your bottle was simply off as opposed to the wine being dead.
Diane
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue May 01, 2007 12:43 am

David,

You say that this was "another" disappointment from Guigal. Have you had many others as well? I've not had this vintage but I've had a few of the 1996's and they are rather average. I also find that this gigondas to be disappointing but their older (like 90's) hermitages are GREAT!

This makes me a bit nervous on the unopened case of the 1999 Hermitage that I have resting from them though. What are your thoughts.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 am

No thoughts on the '99 Hermitage, as I have not had it. I have a bunch of the '98 Hermitage, and I'm leery enough that I will pull a cork soon.

I've had several mid to late '90s Guigals (and a 2003) lately from various AOCs that have all left me cold.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Tue May 01, 2007 5:48 pm

Many thanks for the info! I'll pop one soon too to see whether they are worth aging or if they should have more pedestrian uses. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Michael K wrote:David,

You say that this was "another" disappointment from Guigal. Have you had many others as well? I've not had this vintage but I've had a few of the 1996's and they are rather average. I also find that this gigondas to be disappointing but their older (like 90's) hermitages are GREAT!

This makes me a bit nervous on the unopened case of the 1999 Hermitage that I have resting from them though. What are your thoughts.

Aside from the La-La single vineyard Cote-Roties (La Mouline, La Landonne, La Turque), I've had no other wine from Guigal that I'd call "great".

That being said, I've some excellent wine from Guigal, and nearly everything I'd rate as reliably good. More of a tendency toward international style than I'd like to see, perhaps, but good+ nonetheless.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 02, 2007 7:44 am

Paul Winalski wrote:That being said, I've some excellent wine from Guigal, and nearly everything I'd rate as reliably good. More of a tendency toward international style than I'd like to see, perhaps, but good+ nonetheless.

-Paul W.

I guess I am expecting more, especially at the price point the negotiant bottlings are going for these days. Sure they are "good" wines (though this bottle was not), but for $40-$50 for the '99 Cote Rotie I want better than good. And I actually don't find the wines that New World/International. I find the La La wines to be very oaky, but other than that there's not that much New World about Guigal's wines (at least in current context - don't get me started on some other producers).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed May 02, 2007 2:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I guess I am expecting more, especially at the price point the negotiant bottlings are going for these days. Sure they are "good" wines (though this bottle was not), but for $40-$50 for the '99 Cote Rotie I want better than good.

So do I, which is why I've stopped buying them. Maybe someday we'll get a strong dollar again.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed May 02, 2007 2:33 pm

[quote="Paul Winalski"
Aside from the La-La single vineyard Cote-Roties (La Mouline, La Landonne, La Turque), I've had no other wine from Guigal that I'd call "great".

That being said, I've some excellent wine from Guigal, and nearly everything I'd rate as reliably good. More of a tendency toward international style than I'd like to see, perhaps, but good+ nonetheless.

-Paul W.[/quote]

Paul,

Some of the regular Cote Roties from the 70s and 80s were pretty close to great. As you know, today many people make CR from fruit that they used to sell to Guigal (25 years ago)

Tom T.
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Michael K wrote:David,

-Paul W.

I would have to say that both the '98 & '99 Ch. d'Ampuis are at least great, if not stunning.
Regards,
Gregg