The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vin cuit, what is it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Vin cuit, what is it?

by Keith M » Tue May 01, 2007 9:11 am

from The New Frank Schoonmaker Encyclopedia of Wine (1988) completely revised by Alexis Bespaloff:

Vin Cuit (van kwee) A French term for a wine that has been heated before fermentation so as to increase its eventual alcohol and sweetness; the term is also used by tasters to describe a red wine made from overripe grapes, as in a very hot year, and marked by a somewhat sweet and raisiny taste.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 am

sounds like what we call 'hot pressed' here - a process sometimes used on PN particularly and said to be used at beaucastel.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue May 01, 2007 10:23 am

Randy R wrote:However the definition your book gives is contested by my wikipedia in that they say "vin cuit" isn't vin at all :) Or would it be if made with grape juice?

Not sure. This might be one of those areas where English speakers borrowed a French word but now the same word is used to signify different things in the different languages. But the book I referenced does also note, however, that vin cuit is not fortified as vin doux naturel and vin de liqueur are.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Dang it! I have a book with a bunch of info on vin cuit in it (Aperitifs, by Georgeann Brennan). IIRC, it is made with grapes and there is heat involved. Unfortunately, most of our books are packed in boxes and scattered around the house while we re-model, so I doubt that I'll be able to find it when I get home. If I can, I'll report back.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child