The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pinot Noirs Tasted Blind - Pinots Envy or Not?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Pinot Noirs Tasted Blind - Pinots Envy or Not?

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am

A (very) mixed Pinot Noir blind tasting. Many people do not cellar Burgundies – one of the biggest crap shoots in winedom, unless you can taste before you buy, often impractical and/or expensive. This tasting showed more new world Pinots than in previous events.

Cipes Pinot Noir Brut – a BC bubbly with a reasonably dark colour, good entry, bit light in the mid-palate, but improving in the end with decent length. With pricing above the good Cavas, not likely to appeal to many.

2003 Zanatta Allegria Brut Rose – yeah, I know, it sounds like a Police retrospective, but this wine comes from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver island. It was a pink, with a nose of yeast, an unfinished wine. Which is why I taste but do not buy wines from the Island, at least not until they get their act together.

2006 Lang Blanc de Noir – BC pink with a red tone, made from Pinot and Gamay. Not worth putting in your mouth. I know – I did…..

1999 Burrowing Owl PN – fairly light in colour (in context of new world, not Burgs) with browning edges. Interesting on palate – the only tip off that it isn’t French was the slight heat detectable in the nose. Not bad.

2004 Burrowing Owl PN – another “Tunneling Hooter” wine, yet so different. Cherry and cocoa nose, medium colour, fruit level OK, tannin and astringency6 make this one to hold and cross your fingers. Not sure how it will turn out.

1998 Kettle Valley Hayman PN – this single vineyard offering was the first nature wine. Dark colour, slightly funky nose, with some herbs, decent middle and still with soft tannin at the end.

2005 Belle Glos Clark & Telephone Vineyard PN – a Wagner wine from California, there was good sweet pinot fruit in this, a slightly antiseptic sweet nose, and a nice sweet spicy finish.. Oddly enough this died rather quickly in the glass, especially for such a young wine, which usually doesn’t bode well for the ageability.

1999 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs Pimont – lovely elegant nose that said Burgundy, medium body, pleasant sweet wine with good length. No rush.

2002 King Estate Domaine PN – a primary sort of cherry nose, sweet entry, simple pleasant wine.

2004 Maysara PN Delara – finally an Oregon entry, but sadly not a typical one. Warm caramel and cherry nose, completely unlike a Pinot Noir. So-so on palate – a pass on this one.

2004 Yering Station Yara Valley PN – good red fruit in the nose of this Oz wine, great intensity of flavour and good length. If you like the brasher style, this was a good example, unmistakably from Down Under.

2002 Cedar Creek Platinum PN – usually a reliable wine, this one showed an atypical burnt nose, sour cherries in the mouth and was bland – avoid.

1990 Laurent Charmes Chambertin Grand Cru – there was funkiness but little in the way of fruit in the nose on this one. Better news on palate, with sweet cherry flavours, finishing astringent and a bit sour. If I’d paid for and cellared this wine, I’d be a bit choked.

1985 Remoissenet Savigny les Beaunes Les Gravains Tete de Cuvee – DOA, which I suppose is predictable, or at least a risk with a 22 year old Savigny.

2002 Mission Hill Late Harvest Vidal – never a big fan of Canadian sweet wines, this was no surprise – sweet simple fruit nose, it had sufficient acidity to give it balance but not interest. Forgettable.

2003 Peller Estates Reserve Trinity Ice Wine – much better balance and an improved nose on this rather expensive ($55/375 ml.) wine, far better than the previous vapid example. A blend of Vidal, Ehrenfelser and Riesling. Think I’ll stick (pun intended) to my German BA and TBAs, thanks.

This tasting reminds me of why I like cabernets so much…..they are so much more reliable! Sure, a really good Pinot Noir is a true delight, but crawling over figurative broken glass to find them is a pastime for those more masochistic than I am. Do I still collect them? Sure, but only after tasting them. My wine was the 1998 Kettle, and I had a back up of a 1993 Bichot Vosne Romanee Les Malconsorts in my bag.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Pinot Noirs Tasted Blind - Pinots Envy or Not?

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 02, 2007 10:58 am

Bill Spohn wrote:This tasting reminds me of why I like cabernets so much…..they are so much more reliable! Sure, a really good Pinot Noir is a true delight, but crawling over figurative broken glass to find them is a pastime for those more masochistic than I am. Do I still collect them? Sure, but only after tasting them. My wine was the 1998 Kettle, and I had a back up of a 1993 Bichot Vosne Romanee Les Malconsorts in my bag.

Disappointing, Bill. I would argue that there are a lot of bad American Cabs out there :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 11:13 am

usually a reliable wine, this one showed an atypical burnt nose

And the big fire was when? I know it singed their toes, though the buildings were spared (local gossip says because they were the richest winery, where poorer wineries lost everything).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 02, 2007 11:54 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Disappointing, Bill. I would argue that there are a lot of bad American Cabs out there :)

Who said anything about American Cabs, Brian....Image
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Weren't the wildfires in 2003? I was there in 2002 - no fire.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Bill,
Interestingly enough we had a CA vs OR PN tasting, 3 from OR, 3 from CA and one '99 Savigny thrown in as a ringer. Our wines were quite good but in all three flights, 2-3-2, the OR finished first and the Burg was very dissapointing.

I am more of a Cab based guy like you but there are some enjoyable PNs out there. Seems like you got a bad group of wines. I have about 3 mixed cases of red Burgs in the cellar because I agree they are a crap shoot. Much better to drink from a Burg Geek's Cellar.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 02, 2007 12:24 pm

wrcstl wrote:Bill,
I am more of a Cab based guy like you but there are some enjoyable PNs out there. Seems like you got a bad group of wines. I have about 3 mixed cases of red Burgs in the cellar because I agree they are a crap shoot. Much better to drink from a Burg Geek's Cellar.
Walt

I have a guy from Boston that I invite to a couple of my lunches each year and he is a Burgundy nut/fanatic. He always brings some wonderful wine that he has cellared since it was a pup and they always show beautifully. I don't know whether we get more joy from tasting his wines or he has more fun being exposed to all the other wines we bring, but it sure is fun!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 pm

David, I moved here in 2003 and visited there the first time in 2004, so it would had to have been a year or three before. Let me see if I can google it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm

David, I was wrong. The fire was August 2003.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 pm

You reminded me that I enjoyed King Estate P.N. at a tasting in Charlotte and I recall it as being reasonably priced. Maybe I should seek it out again. (Edited) Checking prices, I must have been thinking of the Signature Pinot Noir (they source some of the grapes for this) which sells for about $29 (not that cheap). The King Domaine Pinot Noir, all their own grapes, runs higher and is not any bargain at about $50. They do sell the Signature P.N. in a half bottle for $15 which is attractive to me as I often have wine with dinner and no one sharing it.