The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Grace Wine Koshu (Japan)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

WTN: 2004 Grace Wine Koshu (Japan)

by Andrew Shults » Wed May 02, 2007 2:05 pm

My first and only experience with the Koshu grape:

2004 Grace Wine Koshu Cuvee Denis Dubourdieu, Katsunuma, Japan, usually US$18, but I got it on sale for $8.

Very pale color and very light-bodied (only 10% alcohol). Subtle--anyone who expects a wine to beat him/her over the head with flavor will be disappointed. I found it to be a bit like a very mild Sauvignon Blanc enhanced by an intriguing jasmine aroma. It showed at its best with only a slight chill to enhance the aromas and flavors and to prevent the acidity from dominating.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2004 Grace Wine Koshu (Japan)

by Jenise » Wed May 02, 2007 2:55 pm

Andrew, you remind me that I have another bottle of this to try.

I don't know if you remember the thread, but Otto posted on this wine previously which caused me to remember a wine I'd taken to lunch with Bill Spohn in the same thread. If you care to read other's impressions, here's that thread: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=1741&highlight=koshu
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Wed May 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Andrew, you remind me that I have another bottle of this to try.

I don't know if you remember the thread, but Otto posted on this wine previously which caused me to remember a wine I'd taken to lunch with Bill Spohn in the same thread. If you care to read other's impressions, here's that thread: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=1741&highlight=koshu

Jenise,

Thanks for the additional info. I hadn't noticed the earlier thread. I agree with Bill's and your impressions that the wine was a bit watery, but my reading suggests that this is somewhat common with Koshu. However, Otto's notes on several other Koshus suggest that this isn't necessarily so for the grape.

I found that a warmer serving temperature made a significant difference with the Grace Koshu. Treating it almost like a red (60-65 degrees) allowed the jasmine to come through the acidity. I'd be interested in your impressions of your remaining bottle.

BTW, I may be mistaken, but it looks like Otto tried a Koshu from Misawa Winery called "Grace" rather than the Grace Wine Koshu "Cuvee Denis Dubourdieu" that we've both had. It may explain why your impression differed from his.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu May 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Indeed the Grace I had is different from Dubourdieu's. The unoaked examples I thought were really lovely wines and I hope that I could buy them here.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.