The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rumbling a little more - more thoughts on wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Rumbling a little more - more thoughts on wine

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 03, 2007 7:29 am

I've posted a few notes over the last several months on 2005 Central Coast Pinot Noir. I've now had wines from AP Vin, Loring/Pali and several others. I really like the 2005s. The alcohol is down. There's good, but not shockingly high concentration, and the wines are clearly Pinot Noir. So guess what they remind me of. Wait for it. Arcadian! What we have is a vintage that gave folks the chance to make a slightly more restrained style, and I love it. I've liked every wine I have tried from Joe Davis at Arcadian (though they are hard to find), and now I have some other wines that "fit" the model. While I bet there are significant differences in how they were made, I don't really care. The 2005s taste good.

--------------------

Did you know that sheep are carnivorous and eat their young. The Bordeaux 2006 and 2005 re-visit notes are out on eGobsofhedonisticfruit.com. I guess I should not be surprised.

--------------------

I actually feel sorry for Robert Parker. He must be the wine world's version of Joe Torre. Lauded as a genius for his tasting ability, and protected in public like a holy relic, he then gets skewered because his scores get to some people faster than others. (Let's see, does Joe Torre throw the pitches or swing the bat?) How is Mr. Parker supposed to control the US Mail (and foreign mail services as well), and also control when people look at their computers. Someone is going to be first no matter how it is done. Maybe we can get Derek Jeter to stand up for RP.

--------------------

On another RP subject, nice to see Mouton Rothschild getting some love. While I can't afford it anymore, I have always liked Mouton. It's the most exotic first growth Bordeaux in style, and somehow that has always been something I liked. Mouton has been a bit of a whipping boy the last several years, but for the most part when I have had the chance to taste the wines I have really liked them. Even vintages like 1997 and 2001 have been delicious. The 2002 is wonderful. Hats off to Baronne Philippine.

--------------------

Summer is coming on fast. Temps are supposed to hit the mid-80s next week around here, and I am eagerly waiting for the chance to sit outside with a glass of Muscadet or Kabinett or ESJ Rosé. There's something about sipping wine outside on a beautiful summer evening that just cannot be beat. The wine just tastes better. I need to build a deck.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Rumbling a little more - more thoughts on wine

by Florida Jim » Thu May 03, 2007 7:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I actually feel sorry for Robert Parker. He must be the wine world's version of Joe Torre. Lauded as a genius for his tasting ability, and protected in public like a holy relic, he then gets skewered because his scores get to some people faster than others. (Let's see, does Joe Torre throw the pitches or swing the bat?) How is Mr. Parker supposed to control the US Mail (and foreign mail services as well), and also control when people look at their computers. Someone is going to be first no matter how it is done. Maybe we can get Derek Jeter to stand up for RP.

Who's this Robert Parker fellow?

Summer is coming on fast. Temps are supposed to hit the mid-80s next week around here, and I am eagerly waiting for the chance to sit outside with a glass of Muscadet or Kabinett or ESJ Rosé. There's something about sipping wine outside on a beautiful summer evening that just cannot be beat. The wine just tastes better. I need to build a deck.

And the choir sings, "Amen."
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 03, 2007 9:00 am

Florida Jim wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I actually feel sorry for Robert Parker. He must be the wine world's version of Joe Torre. Lauded as a genius for his tasting ability, and protected in public like a holy relic, he then gets skewered because his scores get to some people faster than others. (Let's see, does Joe Torre throw the pitches or swing the bat?) How is Mr. Parker supposed to control the US Mail (and foreign mail services as well), and also control when people look at their computers. Someone is going to be first no matter how it is done. Maybe we can get Derek Jeter to stand up for RP.

Who's this Robert Parker fellow?

Best, Jim

Channeling Chris Coad I see. :wink:
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Thu May 03, 2007 10:48 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Channeling Chris Coad I see. :wink:

URL?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 03, 2007 10:56 am

Florida Jim wrote:

URL?
Best, Jim

You are just evil today. :twisted: :lol: :D

http://www.eGobsofhedonisticfruit.com
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu May 03, 2007 4:47 pm

That URL doesn't work for me.

(P.S. Have enjoyed your rumblings/ramblings. Sorry I don't have time at the moment to respond at greater length.)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 03, 2007 8:23 pm

That URL will never work for anybody (I hope).

I am enjoying it. It's much more productive than actually getting involved in discussions on eBob.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Let's not turn this into a name calling thing. I mean we have already gone pretty low (or high) up the name calling rung. What card can you pull out after using that name? Really, this needs to stop! :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 03, 2007 8:30 pm

James Roscoe wrote:

Let's not turn this into a name calling thing. I mean we have already gone pretty low (or high) up the name calling rung. What card can you pull out after using that name? Really, this needs to stop! :roll:

Careful, or I will invoke the ghosts of WIWPs past on you. :wink: