The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Château des Charmes Sauvignon Blanc (Niagara-on-the-Lake VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2005 Château des Charmes Sauvignon Blanc (Niagara-on-the-Lake VQA)

by Paul B. » Sat May 05, 2007 12:14 am

This is the first time I've seen an "Estate Bottled" VQA Niagara-on-the-Lake Sauvignon Blanc from Château des Charmes at the LCBO on general list; the wine itself is a new product for the winery. This bottling features a metal screwcap closure and a deep-punted Bordeaux-shaped clear glass bottle. It costs $17.95 CAD. The back label indicates two harvest dates: September 2nd, 2005 and September 13th, 2005. The grapes were all sourced from the winery's own vineyards in Niagara. Production totalled 4,800 bottles.

12.5% alc./vol. Brilliantly clear, pale straw colour; very bright. Tight, reductive bouquet presenting gooseberry/white-currant, minerally tropical pineapple and lemon zest. Full, crisp, dry entry; good, dry and expansive minerally texture with good warmth and presence on the mid-palate. A lot of matchstick sulfur shows up into the finish, which is otherwise dry and cleansing with invigorating acidity and minerally crispness.

I've long said that despite the challenges it faces in our climate, Sauvignon Blanc does make very good varietal wines here. The style is also much to my favour: it's reliably dry and shows much varietal typicity - although grassy aromas tend to be rare; citrus zest and gooseberry are more common. Ontario Sauvignon is right up there with Austrian GV and dry Vidal as my favourite warm-weather palate invigorators.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Château des Charmes Sauvignon Blanc (Niagara-on-the-Lake VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat May 05, 2007 1:03 am

Great to hear the cheers for Ont SB. I have not tasted this one Paul B but the others I have come across have not rocked my boots!!! You have Pinot Gris out there in the east?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat May 05, 2007 1:06 am

You know, Bob, we certainly do have Pinot Gris here in Ontario, and personally I believe that the most interesting ones come from the Lake Erie North Shore appellation - they tend to have a nice mix of fullness (Pinot Gris always seems to have a certain "fatness" on the mid-palate) and minerally character.

My experiences with Ontario Sauvignon Blanc have, by contrast, been much better - and especially so when compared to my overall experiences with Ontario Gewurzes ... I think that Gewurz in general underperforms in Ontario.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat May 05, 2007 1:14 am

Paul, I was not careful in my choice of words! I was implying SBs from BC, sorry about that.
I think that PG is quite under-rated here in Canada. I am a big fan of those from BC and their movement off the shelves is impressive. Any hows back to the subject................!!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun May 06, 2007 10:34 pm

I was right - the reductive stink has blown off. The wine is nicely focused and minerally/fruity now.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 pm

Just piling on the footnotes here ... Finished the wine tonight, and it seemed to be quite sulfury again.

I think it's a good wine and I love the style, but someone overdid the sulfite for sure, unfortunately.