The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux Blends do go OK with Morrocan Food!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Bordeaux Blends do go OK with Morrocan Food!

by Brian K Miller » Sat May 05, 2007 1:55 am

This has been a wine heavy week 8) :oops: My birthday, a friends birthday tonight.

Somewhat disappointing food (for me)-a little bland, frankly. BUt, the belly dancing was fun and sexy (and I love Arab music, too).

Anyway, two wines were sampled tonight, and opinions were mixed as to preferences (although both were quite nice). Once Napa County Boprdeaux Blend, and one Cru Bourgeoise fro Pessac-Leognan.

2001 Farella Alta Bordeaux Blend. 30% Merlot, 70% Cab, 13.9% ABV. About $50 and worth it. Interestingly enough, this wine was the lighter and more austere of the pair tonight. It wasn't green, but it was just very dry. If you like the Meeryvale style, try this one. What's wierd is it showed much richer and oakier at the winery tasting last summer????? Nice ruby black cab coloring. No real evidence of over-oaking on this wine-Tom Farella is a very elegant wine maker. Very light mix of blackberry, raspberry (dominant) and current/cassis. Some smoke and a touch of savoriness, but this is not dominating because of the acid. Quite a bit of acid-this is a food friendly wine. My second Farella wine this week, and it earns kudos. ***1/2+ I am really enjoying some of the wines from the foot of Napa Valley. Maybe Tulocay is a strong candidate for the future of Napa Cabernets-it's certainly cooler than St. Helena!

2000 Chateau Larrivette Haut Brion (Graves/Pessac-Leognan) 12.5% abv. The infamous Michael Rolland consulted on this small Cru Bourgeoise estate. Coming from a warmer year, this wine was darker in color than the Napa wine above. Why does heavy oak not bother me at all in French wines when it is so apparant to me in Napa? A friend with a sensitive palette noticed the oak that I "missed."

Anyway, this was a much bigger and richer wine than the Farella. Still, it does not taste like a Napa Cab at all. This is still, even with the oak and the richness, a FRENCH wine. Lots of blackberry, cassis, and that lovely, lovely tobacco I like so much. No hint of vanilla, thank goodness. As the wine breathed over the evening (we finished the Farella within 15 minutes :oops: ), the fruit became more apparent-and the savory finish. It became more rounded. This wine should have been decanted for a substantial period, but I had no time today. Drinking very well right now-no sign of closing down for this Cru Bourgeoise. Another fine recommendation from Arlington Wines in Kensignton, CA-the shop I credit with turning me onto Bordeaux. ***1/2.

Two nice wines, indeed!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach