The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Coffaro "My Zin" '03

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Coffaro "My Zin" '03

by John Treder » Sat May 05, 2007 9:54 pm

Would there were more $13.50 wines that will develop nicely over a few years!

I tasted this in barrel and bumped up my order, making a mental note that it would need some time.
In May '05 I noted, "Better than it tasted in barrel! Very nice smooth Zin!"
That November I wrote, "Excellent! Still pretty tannic, but lots of backing. A typical David Coffaro wine."
And then, because there is so much wine and so little of me, I left it alone for a while.

I opened another bottle tonight, with spaghetti (some more tomorrow with country-style spare ribs), and found it "Right at its peak. PS showing, adding brightness to the zin. Remarkably long, and very muted tannins compared to 1½ years ago."

It's California Dry Creek Valley, 77% Zin, 16% Petite Syrah, 7% Cab Sauv. 512 cases produced, 14.9% alcohol.

This was the first year that David Coffaro used screwcaps instead of genuine artificial cork-like stoppers. So far, I see no reason to worry about the screwcaps. The wine develops just fine.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: WTN: Coffaro "My Zin" '03

by Shaji M » Sun May 06, 2007 12:56 pm

John,
I barrell tasted both My Zin and Bernier Zin. Opted to buy a case of the 2003 Bernier Zin. While the Bernier is drinking really well right now, your post made me wish I had bought some My Zin as well.
Shaji
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: Coffaro "My Zin" '03

by John Treder » Sun May 06, 2007 9:58 pm

There's so much wine and here I am stuck with only one mouth!

I've never bought (for my cellar) more than half a dozen of any particular bottling, and I worry when I do that I'll be missing something.

I do have a couple of the Bernier's, and it's a bit more complex than the My Zin, but I think it needs more time. I opened one last December and noted,
"First whiff made me think of Cab (herbal). A bit hot and acidic. Very long. Dark and meaty."

I'd guess a year or two, but the heat is a bit bothersome. It'll likely be good QPR at least, and possibly Much more.