The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN:Swan,WesMar,WS,Aubert,85 Insignia,La Conseillante,KB,Margerum,Araujo etc…

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

TN:Swan,WesMar,WS,Aubert,85 Insignia,La Conseillante,KB,Margerum,Araujo etc…

by Jason Hagen » Sun May 06, 2007 9:35 pm

It was our annual Derby day wine party…topped off with the usual mint julep. A lot of great wines but I’ll just point out some highlights. Thankfully there were very few low lights…just a corked 1997 Thackrey Orion.

2006 Kosta Browne Rose of Pinot: Another great KB Rosé. Great BBQ wine. Great aromatics and a nice amount of complexity. I think I slightly preferred the Kutch but this is right up there.

2004 Aubert Chardonnay Rueling Vineyard: Big and buttery. In line with Aubert but this seemed to be smoother and slightly more velvety than I remember it last time. Very nice. Just enough acid and white fruit to balance the richness.

1997 Williams Seylem Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast: For a 10 year appellation wine…pretty good. Really nice fruit but there is alcohol on the nose and a touch on the finish. Very simple but nice.
2004 Joseph Swan Pinot Noir Cuvee de Trois RRV: A beauty. Young. Red fruit with what seems to be some stem inclusion. Earthy meaty elements. Really nice and a great bargin. $23 … are you kidding me…great stuff.

2004 WesMar Pinot Noir RRV: Starting to open up. Pretty red fruits and a fair amount of structure. A touch of citrus running through. Again seems like stem inclusion. Not for those that don’t like that profile. I love it. More pure fruit than the Swan but similar aromatics. Still needs a year or two.

2004 Margerum Syrah Alondra de los Prados Vineyard: A big syrah but still nice balance. A great wine for early consumption.

2005 Margerum Syrah Alodra de los Prados Vineyard: 50% whole cluster IIRC. A complete baby. Just bottled. Love it. Much more in a Rhone vein than the 04. The nose says Santa Ynez but the flavors say Rhone. … SECOND DAY UPDATE! I think the palate says Cali too. Really nice. Love the balance and the aromatics are out of this world. You’ve got to love the smell of freshly bottled syrah.

2003 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon: Nice. A winner. I have only had a few Tognis but this was definitely my favorite. Layers of flavors with light acidity.

1985 Joseph Phelps Insignia: Drinking well but showing its age. Not falling apart but for many I think it would be heading to far away from the fruit. The fruit is aging but the tannins seem resolved so it still works really well.

2003 Araujo Syrah Eisele Vineyard: I have only had Araujo Syrah a few times but this one proved to me … I’d like to have it more often. Great aromatics. Awesome fruit with pepper and flowers. Lavender comes to mind. Still uninvolved but nice.
2000 La Conseillante Pomeral: Okay. This is killer. Maybe the best 2000 I have had…although I haven’t yet drank much. But this is already showing well. Hope to have again someday.

Not a bad day at the races…well my betting was no peach but the wines kept me smiling.

Peace,

Jason
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: TN:Swan,WesMar,WS,Aubert,85 Insignia,La Conseillante,KB,Margerum,Araujo etc…

by Dale Williams » Mon May 07, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks for notes.
I never see Joseph Swan wines, but liked a PN that Jenise served me. Togni is one of my favorites (with age).
Surprised the Conseillante was that open, haven't tried many bigger 2KBdx lately.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: TN:Swan,WesMar,WS,Aubert,85 Insignia,La Conseillante,KB,Margerum,Araujo

by John Tomasso » Mon May 07, 2007 8:54 am

Jason - I've become a fan of Margerum's Alondra de los Prados Syrah.

Where'd you get a bottle of '05? I didn't even think it was out yet - they just showed it at the Futures. You must have connections......
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon May 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Sorry I had to miss this.. your family really knows how to pour some nice wine...

Glad to see that you liked the Swan Menage a Trois.. or whatever it is ... I haven't tried it yet, but some other reviews have been less than positive.. I think I can trust your palate, though, to more atuned to what rings my bell... and, yeah, good Pinot in the low 20s? amazing...

I need to try the Margerum... maybe I can learn to like CA syrah again.. :)
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN:Swan,WesMar,WS,Aubert,85 Insignia,La Conseillante,KB,Margerum,Araujo etc…

by Jenise » Mon May 07, 2007 4:08 pm

You had me thumbing my cellar list to see which Margerum I have. Drat, it's the 04 Black Oaks. Not that that's a bad thing....

Jim, chances are good you'll like Margerum. You and I are totally on the same page where CaliSyrah is concerned, and Margerum is one of the few I've liked. And speaking of syrah, I just got a shipment from Swan that includes Syrah. Have you had his syrah yet?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon May 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Jenise wrote: And speaking of syrah, I just got a shipment from Swan that includes Syrah. Have you had his syrah yet?

I got that same shipment, methinks.. and no, no Swan Syrah yet, but I have the Trenton queued up..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 07, 2007 7:58 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Jason - I've become a fan of Margerum's Alondra de los Prados Syrah.

Where'd you get a bottle of '05? I didn't even think it was out yet - they just showed it at the Futures. You must have connections......

Yeah. Friend of the vineyard owner. It was just bottled.

Jason
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Jenise: Had the 2001 Swan Syrah two weeks ago. Very, very popular-more on the "red fruit" side, but definitely some earthyness and meaty notes. Lovely wine that I would buy again for the price.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 08, 2007 12:24 pm

more on the "red fruit" side

Great! With syrah, for me that's a plus. Hmmm...speaking of syrah, recently opened a 2001 Copain Eagle-something that I forgot to report on. Oh, where are my notes? (shuffle, shuffle)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue May 08, 2007 12:44 pm

Jenise wrote:.speaking of syrah, recently opened a 2001 Copain Eagle-something

Eagle Point Ranch.

J