The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 3 from Château de Montmirail

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 3 from Château de Montmirail

by geo t. » Sun May 06, 2007 10:43 pm

We’ve been fans of Château de Montmirail for some years now, and the 2004 Château de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Deux Frères that we enjoyed last month made us want to try more, so we followed that up with another three during the first round of the NHL playoffs.

2000 Château de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée des Saints Papes, 75% Grenache, 20%Syrah, 5% Mourvedre, 13.5% alc., $21.99: I had hopes that this dark garnet colored blend might be softening a bit at around 6 ½ years of age, but it’s still big, rich and powerful, being very well structured, with a good dose of tannins yet to shed. It exudes smoked stone over red plum and berry on the nose, and gives up plenty more of the same on the palate, along with notes of iron, cola and grilled meat to boot. This excellent Vacqueyras is nowhere near its peak, with at least three to five years of further development (it may be a 15+ year wine), but I have to admit, with around three hours in a decanter, it’s already quite tasty.

2004 Château de Montmirail Vacqueyras Cuvée de l’Ermite, 50% Grenache, 50% Syrah, 14.5% alc., $24.99: On the nose, this dark garnet offers a wide spectrum of rich berry and plum underscored with earth and iron; the flavors echo and expand with even more earth and iron, along with a strap of leather and a little something reminiscent of raw petroleum. It smoothes out nicely with a couple hours of air and it’s drinkable now, but it’s a 10 year wine no sweat, so patience is advised; plenty of potential here.

2004 Château de Montmirail Gigondas Cuvée de Beauchamp2004 Château de Montmirail Gigondas Cuvée de Beauchamp, 75% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 19% Mourvedre, 15.5% alc., $26.99: Deep dark garnet in color, fading at the rim; there’s plenty of sun baked, smoked stone character in both the big flavors and expressive aromatics, and these elements vie for dominance with the ripe, spicy dark plum, blackberry, black cherry and cola at the core of the flavor profile, all shaded with earth and bitter chocolate underneath. Deep, dense and concentrated, with excellent structure and length, and yes, just a little heat, as the alcohol level might suggest. I find this to be even more engaging and approachable than the other Montmirails noted in this and the last report, but it’s far from its prime, so I’ll try it again in five years to see where it’s at; my guess is that it’ll still be on the way up.

Château de Montmirail imported by J et R Selections, Mt. Pleasant, MI

-from Red Wings & Red Rhônes Playoff Diary-Round 1

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: TN: 3 from Château de Montmirail

by Redwinger » Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 am

Hey George,
How you guys doing?
FWIW, Kenley from J et R brought around a sample bottle of the Beauchamp last August. It sounds like the wine has come together a bit since then as I remember it as being very hot/alcoholic, sleek (not in a flattering sense), and very modern in style.
Curls
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Mon May 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Redwinger wrote:Hey George,
How you guys doing?
FWIW, Kenley from J et R brought around a sample bottle of the Beauchamp last August. It sounds like the wine has come together a bit since then as I remember it as being very hot/alcoholic, sleek (not in a flattering sense), and very modern in style.
Curls

Hey Curly, we're doin' pretty good; how 'bout youze?

Yup, I liked the bottle we tasted, so it must have shaped up since August.

Go Red Wings!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 08, 2007 11:35 pm

Redwinger wrote:Hey George,
How you guys doing?
Curls

Hey, Bill, where in Indy is the best source for J et R wines these days? I used to rely on Hamilton, but with the change in management, I now have my doubts (details in my recent email).

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed May 09, 2007 8:28 am

Mark,
I don't have a good handle on this. My impression is that the offerings are pretty spotty with a number of stores having fairly limited selections. Plus, the available selections seem to be older vintages/tough to move stock. On Thurs/Friday I plan on making the rounds to some of the local shops and will report back if the landscape has changed.
Have a good trip out West.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!