The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite cork puller

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite cork puller

by Robin Garr » Mon May 07, 2007 8:44 am

Assuming that you haven't gone over entirely to screw caps, the cork extractor is still perhaps the wine enthusiast's most indispensible tool. But <i>which</i> cork extractor? Do you favor the old-fashioned two-wing puller? The so-called "waiter's model" that resembles a pocket knife? The two-pronged "Ah-So" that works its prongs down opposite sides of the cork? Or maybe a fancy hand-held or table mounted lever model? Everyone has a favorite, and we invite you to tell us yours in this week's Netscape/CompuServe Community poll.

<b>Click here to vote!</b>

(Standard reminder: You don't have to register or log in at Netscape to vote, and you're welcome to post comments in either forum.)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite cork puller

by Jon Peterson » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

I open the vast majority of bottles in the kitchen using my waiter's model. However, if I'm putting on a show for folks over for dinner, I'll take a few interested individuals down to the cellar and, involving them, make a small production out of selecting and opening using the brass table mounted lever model.
By the way usually only guys want to see the cellar and that suggests another poll question. I'll have to think about that a little more.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon May 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I have a stainless steel Italian model (single jointed) that I like even better than the double jointed waiters variety. Perfect screw / handle length w/ great levereage. Flat and fits neatly in my pocket.

I prefer it over everything I've tried.

Richard
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon May 07, 2007 2:07 pm

I like the waiters corkscrew, but unlike Richard have a very strong preference for the "pulltap" (2-stage hinged model with teflon worm). The 2 stage means I can always extract a long old cork even if I don't exactly center. I have a very nice Laguoile single stage one, works well but if I end up with a long old cork it can snap from bending.

It's good to have an AhSo for truly crumbly corks. And a funnel filter. :)
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Mon May 07, 2007 2:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I like the waiters corkscrew, but unlike Richard have a very strong preference for the "pulltap" (2-stage hinged model with teflon worm). The 2 stage means I can always extract a long old cork even if I don't exactly center.

Ditto.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon May 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Two waiters friend style and a rabbit syle screwpull. Useage depends on mood. We also have a table mounted one which has yet to make it out of the box. A very well intentioned present from the parents, but a bit worrying that they think we drink enough to justify it! One wine tasting I must get it out for it's debut.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon May 07, 2007 3:21 pm

Useage depends on mood. We also have a table mounted one which has yet to make it out of the box. A very well intentioned present from the parents,

LOL, we had one of those from the same source also. I think we re-wrapped it and presented it as a B-day present to another friend who can't get the hang of a waiter's style.

Richard
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 am

Two-winged... haven't had a problem with a cork yet.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue May 08, 2007 10:40 am

I love the waiter's corkscrew for its portability and compactness, although I have to say that I've used a two-wing model at home for ages and despite the fact that many people seem to dislike them, it has always worked well for me. I have received numerous other expensive/fancy corkscrews that have either been painful on the hands due to a fashion-over-function design, or that have simply busted after a few months' use. The plain old aluminum two-wing keeps on going and going, though.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 am

For me, it depends on quantity. If I'm opening just a few (1-3) bottles of wine, I use my waiter's friend. OTOH, if I need to open more than that, I'll break out the Screwpull since it speeds up the process so much.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 am

I like my two-winged model. It's a yuppie model that is too cute (Alessi), so it's more for the funniness of it than the fact that it works better than any other types (it's the one that looks like a woman with a face and everything). :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Paul B. wrote:I lhave to say that I've used a two-wing model at home for ages and despite the fact that many people seem to dislike them, it has always worked well for me.

I have two points of dislike for them, personally, neither really fatal.

First, they're not portable. Being able to stick the waiter's model in my pocket and take it everywhere is a big selling point.

More serious for me is that I have never seen a two-wing puller with an open helix. They almost invariably seem to have a solid "wood-screw" worm, and while they work okay most of the time, they're more problematical with older or fragile corks. If I had one with a helix, that would be an improvement, but I'm still underwhelmed with them not being suitable for pocket use. :)
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Tue May 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Paul B. wrote:I lhave to say that I've used a two-wing model at home for ages and despite the fact that many people seem to dislike them, it has always worked well for me.

They almost invariably seem to have a solid "wood-screw" worm

My two-wing has an open helix. Quick perusal of Target shows most of their two wings have the open helix, so maybe it's changing.

I would agree that somes two-wings are decidedly subpar, my parents have one. Anything with plastic on it I would stay away from it.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 08, 2007 10:05 pm

I voted pocket screwpull on the technicality "cork." For other stoppers I use a waiter's pal with a 1/2" claw to save the worm on the screwpull.