The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Short notes on lots of wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Short notes on lots of wine

by Jay Labrador » Tue May 08, 2007 11:54 am

Short notes from 2 dinners.

Millton Gisborne Viognier 2004 - From NZ. Sweet and slightly smoky. Easy, pleasant drink. Long finish. Nice.

Villa Maria Gewurztraminer 2005 - From NZ. Subdued nose for a Gewurz. Light and spicy. Obvious acidity. Good food wine.

Clos du Bois Chardonnay 2004 - Sweet attack, weak finish. Good acidity. Food friendly. Simple but nice enough.

Domaine de l'Oratoire St. Martin Reserve des Seigneurs Cairanne 2004 - Meaty nose. Slightly pruney, dried fruits. Meat, stewed fruits. Modern in style. Could use another year of aging. Very good now but still some potential locked up.

Mondavi Moscato d'Oro 2004 - Sweet and peachy. Good but expensive.

Evans and Tate Gnagara Unwooded Chardonnay 2002 - Getting dark in color. Apples. A bit sweet. Still OK but showing signs of fading.

Vouvray Sauvion 2003 - Anise nose. Sweet, soft and light with an acidic finish. Apple skins. Good aperitif but too light for food.

Hardy's Stamp Riesling/Gewurztraminer 2006 - Spicy, lychee. The Gewurz, although the junior partner in this blend, shows strongly. Ginger. Good thirst quencher.

Hugel Jubilee Alsace Pinot Noir 2004 - Light, dry, dried fruit and herbs. A little spicy. Still a bit of tannin that doesn't quite go with the lightness of the wine. Unbalanced. My second Alsace PN and another strike. I guess I just don't like the way Pinot Noir is made in Alsace.

Leon Beyer Tokay Pinot Gris Comtes d'Eguisheim 1997 - Served way too warm, unfortunately. Didn't show well due to temperature.

Clos de La Tour Cru Bourgeois Haut Medoc 2001 - By the firm of Dourthe. A little musty. Dry in front with a very fruity finish. Bitter cocoa. Vibrant. Very nice finish. Still tannic. A brilliant match for the magret de canard and wild rice pilaf.

Croix du Mayne Cahors 2001 - Seems to be in an awkward stage. Disjointed and quite inferior to what I remembered when I had it last a few years back. Very dry and herby with a distinct lack of flavor in the mid-palate. Needs time to come together. Try again in 3 years.

Errazuriz Shiraz 2004 - Shiraz but a Chile wine. Coffee. Sweet and New Worldy but with a dry finish. Pleasant.

Domaine du Petit Paris Monbazillac 2001 - Very nice Sauternes-like nose. Burnt sugar, medium bodied. Drying finish. Good.