The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's your latest wine fascination?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What's your latest wine fascination?

by Jenise » Wed May 09, 2007 5:33 pm

We all go through phases. We try a little of this and a little of that. Then along comes a magic bottle, maybe something beloved years ago that fell out of favor, or some new wine discovery has cast a spell on you and now you are paying extra attention to that grape or growing area. Whatever it is, it's your current 'jones'. You can't get enough of it.

What, for you, is that wine right now?

White burgundy, here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: What's your latest wine fascination?

by Sam Platt » Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Bordeaux of the 2000 vintage from lesser chateau. I'm on a quest to find a bad one. Haven't yet, but I'm having fun trying.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Wed May 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Cheap Cote de Ventoux, around $10 U.S., mostly Grenache I think, rustic, tannic, with very nice juicy fruit underneath. Can't recommend it because I think most would find it objectionably tannic/rustic, but I like it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 09, 2007 6:32 pm

Savigny and Pernand Vergelesses. Great clarity and of course the price was right.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed May 09, 2007 6:42 pm

Most of my near-term attention has been given to sec/demi-sec Vouvray and Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed May 09, 2007 7:25 pm

Jenise wrote: Whatever it is, it's your current 'jones'. You can't get enough of it.

Drinking a bottle of red on Thursday evening in addition to the usual Friday and Saturday. Thus I only have to wait for four days.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed May 09, 2007 7:31 pm

Right now it's a Cotes de Rhone. Tomorrow, who knows?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed May 09, 2007 7:44 pm

For me it continues to be French Pinot Noir. Recently had Drouhin's Clos des Mouches 01, which took me to a very happy place. Had it twice: once at home alone and a second time and another bottle shared with friends in NYC last weekend. I know there is more Burgundy wine to taste, but first I may need to find me a rich sugar daddy with a love for travel, opera, and more importantly, wine.... 8)

In all seriousness, I continue to be fascinated by wine in general, and how a wine changes. Earlier this week I had a Carignano del Sulcis of Santadi, which kept relaxing and opening up by the hour; by day three it actually showed more complexity and spice that was a lot more pleasing to me than on day 1. So this truly fascinates me about wine's evolution - luckily the wine got better with time.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed May 09, 2007 7:46 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:For me it continues to be French Pinot Noir. Recently had Drouhin's Clos des Mouches 01, which took me to a very happy place. Had it twice: once at home alone and a second time and another bottle shared with friends in NYC last weekend. I know there is more Burgundy wine to taste, but first I may need to find me a rich sugar daddy with a love for travel, opera, and more importantly, wine.... 8)

In all seriousness, I continue to be fascinated by wine in general, and how a wine changes. Earlier this week I had a Carignano del Sulcis of Santadi, which kept relaxing and opening up by the hour; by day three it actually showed more complexity and spice that was a lot more pleasing to me than on day 1. So this truly fascinates me about wine's evolution - luckily the wine got better with time.

Sell the stock in the Tuscan wine venture!!!! :lol:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed May 09, 2007 8:07 pm

You mean the UMBRIAN venture, James? :shock:
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Jenise wrote:We all go through phases. We try a little of this and a little of that. Then along comes a magic bottle, maybe something beloved years ago that fell out of favor, or some new wine discovery has cast a spell on you and now you are paying extra attention to that grape or growing area. Whatever it is, it's your current 'jones'. You can't get enough of it.

What, for you, is that wine right now?

White burgundy, here.

Hungary. Oh, and dry Muscat, and for that matter dry Hungarian Muscat. I'm never satisfied with red wine these days...
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed May 09, 2007 8:22 pm

German Riesling's (Spatlese and Auslese) from 1993-1998 - fascinating trying the different vintages, different producer's and even more fascinating - the differences between vintages from the same plot from the same producer.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Tempranillo

by GeoCWeyer » Wed May 09, 2007 8:23 pm

I love it young, I love it old, and anywhere in between. It has become my go to red. I love old tempranillo once the oak has blown off and it has opened a bit with fish. I match it anywhere I can use an American Pinot Noir as well as with spicy dishes . It goes so well with Cajun foods.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Tempranillo

by Carl Eppig » Wed May 09, 2007 9:22 pm

During a recent north-south roadtrip we did some tasting in Virginia, and North Carolina. General impressions are: When they do their own thing as in a Traminette-Chardonel-Vidal Blanc blend, or eastern tried and true as in Riesling; they do OK. When they try to do California as in Cabernet Sauvignon they do not measure up. The latter are refreshingly low in alcohol and have some finesse, but even comparing to ole time Mondavies, there is no comparison.

Back home, Carl
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:...When they do their own thing as in a Traminette-Chardonel-Vidal Blanc blend, or eastern tried and true as in Riesling; they do OK...
I just bottled a blend of Vidal-Vignoles-Cayuga. My current fascination is with Vignoles. This is the first time I've made it in about 15 years - hard to find.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Wed May 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Unusual Italian whites and almost anything from Gevrey-Chambertin, especially Mazis-Chambertin.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed May 09, 2007 10:48 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:I love it young, I love it old, and anywhere in between. It has become my go to red. I love old tempranillo once the oak has blown off and it has opened a bit with fish. I match it anywhere I can use an American Pinot Noir as well as with spicy dishes . It goes so well with Cajun foods.

You should come visit. :D
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed May 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Other than the usual Sherry, lots of St. Joseph, Crozes-Hermitage and Cotes du Rhone lately.
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

For me these days it is aged Domaine Tempier Bandol (see my note on the 1988 La Migoua bottling). Lovely stuff, and I'm lucky to have access to some of the 88,89, and 90 bottlings. Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu May 10, 2007 12:00 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Hungary. Oh, and dry Muscat, and for that matter dry Hungarian Muscat.

Bill, you and I seem to really converge on Central European wines. I, too, love dry Muscat ... but then again, I love dry aromatic wines period: witness my perennial fascination with dry, crisp and boldly aromatic varietal labrusca wines.

The fascination I've been concentrating on most recently, though by no means is it a new one, would be Grüner Veltliner. There's just something about the onset of warm weather and patio livin' that screams GV to me.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 am

Well, thanks to St Innocent and Kim Crawford - Chardonnay. The Unoaked from Kim Crawford was refreshing; the St Innocent 2005 Anden and 2005 Freedom Hill knocked my socks off. I want to drink some everyday ( but I have restrained myself) !
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Thu May 10, 2007 12:30 am

For me, it's been New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc for quite a few years. However, I have been answering to the call of Viognier more and more the past year.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 10, 2007 7:04 am

Muscadet and Bordeaux - though the Bordeaux thing will drop off as the temps rise. I will likely break into my meager stash of Beaujolais.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu May 10, 2007 7:26 am

Was Southern Italy. Now Greek. Next ???
Next