The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 96 Baumard Savennieres Papillon and 99 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr AL

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

Vienna, Virginia

TN: 96 Baumard Savennieres Papillon and 99 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr AL

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Wed May 09, 2007 9:05 pm

1996 Baumard Savennieres Clos du Papillon

Such an interesting wine. Nose of honey and sea breeze. Amber color. So diamond dry it tastes oxidized, except that the zingy acidity keeps it lively and fresh, clear and precise. This is what I imagine an aged Fino sherry would taste like, if you could age fino sherry, and nearly 14% abv. Depth, complexity, vibrancy. An oddball, but it grows on you. Really good wine. My guess is this would go well with fish in a creamy sauce, as the honied quality would coax the cream, while the acidity sliced through it like a knife. Definitely gets you outside of the white wine box. A-.

1999 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (2 576 511 9 01)

Day 1: pleasantly sweet in a youthfully grapey MSR way, but with a bit of petrol. There's a sense of Wehlener filagree, but the whole seems too lightweight for the JJ Prum pedigree. Seems to hit a floor, as if still closed, despite the petrol. Day 2, giving more complexity, more interesting to drink - depth and texture along with the sweetness. There's still a sense of holding back. I am not wise in the ways of aged riesling, but my guess is that this wine is still many years from maturity. B.

:)
Ian
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: TN: 96 Baumard Savennieres Papillon and 99 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr AL

by Randy Buckner » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 pm

I'd give the Prum two or three more years before trying a bottle.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 10, 2007 6:54 am

Randy is pretty much on target with the 2 or 3 more years, though I personally would wait 7-9 more years. I just had the '88 Prum Auslese last night, and it was still very young. Also, Prum never subscribed to the huge auslese phenomenon that swept Germany starting in about 1998 or 1999. Until the weather made it impossible, Prum was always more classical in style, and compared to producers that typically released big BA as auslese Prum wines sometimes seemed almost thin. But what they lacked in density they always made up in complexity.

Of course now that global warming has made more of a mockery of the pradikat system then the Germans ever could on their own (and that's a truly impressive achievement!), even Prum auslese is a very big wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

Vienna, Virginia

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Thu May 10, 2007 7:53 am

I've heard many times that the Prums are especially long-lived. Then I saw a recent note on the 99 somewhere, and my curiosity got the better of me.

Anyway, you have to pay for knowledge, and at my stage of study, a bottle sacrificed in the interest of learning about a wine's evolution is no loss.

Cheers.
Ian